GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Member with Question,, My first SUV

Hi there folks, I'm new in this SUV world.

I just bought my first truck in life, I went with a 2006 Suburban 1500. I got a real good deal for it and the truck is running real good but im a little worry about doing some maintenance on it.

I'm more into Japanese car and i have always had honda and toyota, I still own a Prelude and a mr2 but i wanted to try an american truck for awhile and have some fun in winter.

Well here is my question.

When i drive the truck it shift good but i hear a whining sound coming from the transmission. so i would like to change the oil and also change the pump filter.

Here is my worries.... i heard to many story about changing the transmission oil and i dont want to change it and caused the tranny to blow on me.

It goes good but i have no idea if the old owner had done any services on the truck,.

I will need some advise and i would like to know if i can do anything else beside changing engine oil and transmission oil... I was thinking about the transfercase , rear diff but i have no idea where to start with a 4x4 truck...

Thanks for your time and help.

First of all welcome to the Club!! Congrats on your purchase and we all hope were going to see some pics of your burb. You will find answers to some of your questions using the forum search tools and even at times members will link you to threads that answer your questions. Depending on your milage, which I didnt see stated, would determine when some of the things your concerned about would get maintenanced. A full transmision flush instead of just dropping the pan and changing the filter may be the way to go but again depending on milage. If your fluid seems ok, not smelling burnt, milky looking, or have excessive bubbles in it then you can probably get away with just dropping the pan and changing the filter. Remember that your not replacing the transmission fluid thats in the radiator and the torque converter unless a full flush is done.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I tried to search but i only found that flushing isnt the right thing to do and dropping the pan is the right way to do it. But im still afraid of doing it.

The cluster shows 293,xxx Km on it. I have looked underneath and the transmission and rear diff seems to have been changed since the color of them are different from the rest so i assumed that they didnt wear out the same time as the other parts did. They are cleaner.

Also i have checked the oil from the transmission and it looks pretty clean, clear and it doesn't smell anything beside smelling transmission oil.

I will make sure to flash the oil inside the radiator and torque converter.

But should i fill the transmission and start the engine to fill the radiator and torque converter and refill again the missing oil in the transmission ?

As long as your at correct fluid level now I would pay attention to how much you drain out. Then just replace accordingly. I too have read that you shouldnt flush the transmission fluid system. I guess it should only be done in the event there is a failure or noticeable issues with the existing fluid. But im not 100% sure.

from my experience I have learned that a neglected trans is best left alone. A flush can wash the dirt away that is acting as a friction material on the clutches. if you maintain the trans and flush it then you will be fine. @moogvu has posted a few times about this and can elaborate more. I am trans ignorant. I just know that everyone that has been over 100,000 miles that I flushed (and have not been flushed before) have blown within 6 months. So, I stay away from flushes now.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)