GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default HID in aftermarket lights

I am wanting to upgrade my headlights soon and wanted to get some info on which direction to go. Should i do just HID's in stock headlights or get aftermarket halo type lights with HID's built in them. In doing some research not to sure about the aftermarket lights weather they come with ballasts or not.

Technically speaking, in order to properly use HID's you need projector casings that are DOT approved, however not many people do that. The halo is just for looks and has nothing to do with having HID's. It just makes it look cool.

I'm getting the spec d euro lights with the black housing since they are Oem style but black. Then I'm going to throw my hids in those then look into making a custom projector and filter for a proper hid kit
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

You can use HID lights in reflector style housings. Just ones that are designed for HIDs (example: older Escalades, 2nd gen Prius, Navigator and Aviator had HID's in reflector housings). I am currently "one of those' that run HID in factory housings but I am planning to swallow my pride and try my hand at HID Retrofit with the morimoto mini's. I just need to get a dremel and then will be ordering the spec-d ones that have the black housings and will be pulling those apart and modding away.

I know everyone debates this, but in many states aftermarket HID setups are illegal. A friend of mine just got pulled over in Michigan because the officer said his lights were too blue, bright, and distracting. He popped the hood did a quick inspection, and discovered the hid setup. They towed and impounded his vehicle as it is considered a safety issue for other drivers. I was thinking about doing hid conversion to my truck. Then when I did the research I discovered that for a properly designed projector housing for my truck would cost me more then $500, I decided against it. I travel through multiple states, a lot of times down rural roads, all I need is a bored deputy from some tiny community to impound my truck at 1 am with my wife and 2 kids riding along. I ended up putting piaa bulbs in denali projector assemblies. I was not really satisfied with the results so I installed a set of phillips HIR 9011 bulbs. They are WAY brighter than the stock bulbs (2300 lumen compared to 1100-1700 lumen) and still DOT approved. I actually still carry the stock 9005 bulbs in the truck along with the proper tool to adjust the aim of the lights, just in case an issue arises. Paranoid? Maybe, but I would rather be safe then sorry.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I think everyone who has the blue lights should be arrested. mine are the 55w 5000k setup and are white with no blue to them except at warm up. Those blue colored lights have poor visibility and shouldn't even be allowed on the road at all in any state.
    Guess you could always go the route I plan on going, and make your own though. It would cost roughly $400 with the cost of buying the retrofit kit and if you decide to buy an extra set of housings so you have a spare just in case lol.