GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tire Purchase coming up. BFG or Michelin?

Hi all.

Need new tires for my wife's 2001 Suburban K2500 with 8.1 L engine. We tow a 26-foot travel trailer a little, and drive around town a lot. Montana road conditions (snow, ice, cold). Don't take it off road much. Last set of new tires were Cooper Discoverer, but they wore out much too quickly. Have been checking out this forum and looking into many of the tires recommended in previous threads. Two of the tire choices are available locally at a good price, and I have to make a choice.

I can get the BF Goodrich T/A KO for $217 a tire or the Michelin AT2 for $191 a tire (on sale). In both cases price included mounting plus lifetime balancing, rotating, road hazard, etc.

So is there an obvious choice here between the BFG and the Michelin, or should I be equally satisfied with both?

Thanks
    Family Man

Depends on what you want to do. From what it looks like, you do road driving the majority of the time, pavement/dirt/gravel. In that case I stand by these:

• Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
      • Serv. Desc: 112S
      • UTQG: 740 A B

• Michelin LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season
      • Serv. Desc: 111T
      • UTQG: 720 A A

I actually like the Continentals the best and the price is better than the Michelin's. But when I needed tires the last time around, the Continentals were on a semi permanent back order. So I was stuck with the Michelin's.

But I am hearing allot of rumors that if you keep up with the rotate and balance on the Michelin's people are getting 85,000 miles out of them.

We will see in a few years if that is true.

I have run the Michelin LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season tires on my 02 silverado 2wd. I loved them. They did well in snow, here in Michigan especially for a 2wd truck. I got 75,000 miles out of the last set. I now have them on my 05 yukon xl, they ride nice and wear like steel. I do tow a 3700lb boat with the truck and the tires are fine for that also. My vote is for the Michelin

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have the Michelin AT2 on my 2500 HD and pull a 31 foot Travel trailer. I have had good luck with them. These are the original equipment that came with the truck. My last truck (a 1500) had Bridgestone Duehler HT and liked those on that truck. I would get the michelins again.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Quote Originally Posted by jake's silverado View Post
    I have the Michelin AT2 on my 2500 HD and pull a 31 foot Travel trailer. I have had good luck with them. These are the original equipment that came with the truck. My last truck (a 1500) had Bridgestone Duehler HT and liked those on that truck. I would get the michelins again.
    I just put the BFG's on my truck last Fall. I will tell you the one down side to them is they really pick up the rocks and tear up the rocker paint. I do not like mud flaps, so I will prolly have to linex the rockers here before too long.

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd