GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default possible spark problem

Ok I have a 98 Yukon 2wd and it has a 5.7L Here is what is happening now. Before I would crank but not start. Fuel Psi is at 61psi. It has spark, just replace ignition module. It ran fine on Saturday drove it all day. Then Saturday it would not kick over. Tried starting fuild, no go, poured gas right into throttle body, still no start. The timing on the Dist. is one tooth off. So that is a issue as well. I'm running out of ideals, the next thing where trying is a dist cap and rotor, but if I can solve it before thenI would like to save the money it'll cost to replace the dist parts.

Why not get the distributor timing where it belongs and then work from there? Are you getting spark still? Have you pulled a plug and checked for spark while cranking? I kind of find it odd that it ran good for one day and then would not start? I have not changed an ignition module on one of those, so I have some basic questions for my education and maybe it will help you. Is there a ground involved on the module? Does it ground directly to the block? If so did you make sure that surface was clean? I have read some posts about replacing ignition modules and there was mention of a white paste that acted as a heat insulator. Did yours have this? Sorry for so many questions but, I am trying to educate myself.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

well I've pulled plugs out and they spark, it's not a very strong spark, but I just did plugs and wires on it a week ago. Just replaced the coil and the truck tried to kick over but it just couldn't. Lot of people are suggesting the module. So I order an new one and waiting for it If this don't work I'm pulling the dist. and replacing the cap and rotoe and resetting the timing.