Results 1 to 3 of 3
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM #1
2007 1500 Suburban - some questions....
I've owned the truck since 2008
1. Its noisy. On the highway, the air noise is almost to loud for conversation. The dealership said "thats how an SUV is." Hubbys' "other suv" is not like that. But its smaller. Do I need new seals? They look good, still soft & firm, no cracking. What about those add on vent cover things for windows? Usually in a smoke color? will they cut down on noise with the windows up?
2. Sometimes when I start the truck and the AC is on, I hear a BRRAAAAAPPPDDDDTT!!!! sound. wth is that?
3. If the truck is hot, and I fill the tank, it will over flow. Drives me nuts. I have to stand at my window with the key in and turned to watch the gauge go up so I can shut off the pump at the just before full mark. WHY does it do this?
4. I have a rattle under the dash. I fixed it. The rattle comes from where two pieces of dash meet directly under the steering wheel. I don't know what broke, fell out, wore out to create this noise but so far, a folded up monthly grocery receipt for a family of 5 stops the noise. Its better than the kids soccer sock and smells better. Is there something else I should do? Is it indicative of a bigger issue? A leader of a different problem?
5. Best shocks for a smooth ride. EVERYONE has a different opinion. Stiffer shocks, softer shocks, $$$$$ shocks. We live in the country on a rocky road but I mostly do paved street driving. Watching my passengers hang onto the grab bars and ask if its always this rough is making me feel bad! haha
6. flaking paint or wax on the roof? Right in front, dead center of the windshield. WTH do I do to fix that? The rest of the paint is fine. I'm trying to save up the cash for a detail shop to have a look at it, but I'm not confident with our local guy. he looked at it and I got a "I dunno why it did that" response from him and a "maybe we can make it look better." UGH.
Ok thats enough for now.
10-16-2012, 02:24 PM #2
Hi, I hope I can help with some of your questions,
1) in my 2005 yukon xl the wind noise is fine. It is not loud at all. I have EGR vent visors on the windows and I think that it did change the noise a small amount. Do you have a bug guard on it? I have heard of people getting major noise from the bug guard.
2)your ac sound could be a few things, A bad ac belt tensioner can make a noise when the ac clutch engages. The ac clutch itself could be going bad, or it is a normal noise. Mine does make some noise when the clutch engages.
3) No idea!!. could be that the pressure in the tank is high when it is hot so it spits the fuel out. But, I would figure that with the cap off the pressure would be gone. There was a discussion in another thread about this. If I can find it I will post the link. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz29UJEfb87
4)For your rattle. I would pull the 2 panels off and take a look at the clips. sometimes the clips are not positioned correctly and do not hold the panels tight. Some clip holes may have a piece of felt around them, this is supposed to stop rattling.
5)Everyone has there own opinion about the shocks. Bilstein are supposed to be a great shock. There is a chance that your truck has bilsteins from the factory. I have never had them so I can not comment on them. I put monroe reflex monotubes on my xl and they rode like crap, handled awesome but felt like you were going to break teeth on every bump. I went to the regulate reflex and the ride is alittle spongy but, it is better than what it was. What I have learned about shocks is you either get a lot of control or a smooth ride. If you want control you give up ride quality and vice versa. When you look for shocks be sure that you look at the full description of the shock. They will say things like not for WY7 smooth ride package. If you have coil springs in the rear then you will need to either replace the rear shocks with factory nivomat shocks or put new coils on when you change out the shocks. Not doing this can be dangerous because the rear will be really spongy. (Learned from experience on my 2003 yukon xl.)
5) If it is paint flaking then I do not know what to tell you. If it is wax try using a clay bar on it and see if it takes it off.
Last edited by Pikey; 10-16-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: link added
1995 Silverado 4x4
6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge
2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM #3
You are busy here! I appreciate the thoughtful answers. I prefer a smooth ride over control right now. We have two other trucks for trails etc. This is the to and fro truck. 3 kids, 2 adults, a cross country drive and no complaining + a request to "do it again" hell yeah I love my truck, lol.
By audihenry in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)Replies: 5Last Post: 11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
By littledrenth in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)Replies: 2Last Post: 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
By markbo in forum General Chevy & GM Tech QuestionsReplies: 5Last Post: 09-27-2009, 09:40 AM
By ez g in forum GM PowertrainReplies: 0Last Post: 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
By rgrs7 in forum Photo & Video GalleryReplies: 8Last Post: 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM