GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jr. Mechanic GrizzlyTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jackson Tennessee
    Posts
    130

    Default Wide Tire Without Extra Height

    Random question, and I know we all like to jack our trucks up to the highest we can go.

    BUT - I'm not able to get into some parking garages for work because of it, I hate my skinny Bridgestone Dueller A/T's (265/65 R18)on Chevy rims.

    I'd like to get a 12.5" wide tire but keep the height increase to a minimum.

    Does such a tire exist and what are the dimensions that I need to be looking at?

    I appreciate any help fellas!
    2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
    Rough Country 2.5' Lift/Level
    Chevy 18's on Toyo Open Country MT 33's
    DiabloSport Trinity Tuner with Custom Tune from Lew
    Debating on AMP Research Powersteps

    2008 GMC Sierra WT 4x2 4.3

    3" Rough Country Suspension Lift w/Control Arms
    Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.
    Moto Wheels 951 18" on Nitto Mud Grappler 33's
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 System with Kenwood 5.1 amp using Stock Headunit.

  2. #2

    Default

    I run 305/60r18s with a leveling kit and fit n every parking deck I've gone to
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyTN View Post
    Random question, and I know we all like to jack our trucks up to the highest we can go.

    BUT - I'm not able to get into some parking garages for work because of it, I hate my skinny Bridgestone Dueller A/T's (265/65 R18)on Chevy rims.

    I'd like to get a 12.5" wide tire but keep the height increase to a minimum.

    Does such a tire exist and what are the dimensions that I need to be looking at?

    I appreciate any help fellas!
    265's are narrow? My 2000 came stock with 235's, 265's are the best thing out there. . I really would like a tire as wide as a 305, but want to stick with a 65-75 height.

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    I run 305/60r18s with a leveling kit and fit n every parking deck I've gone to
    Since I am 2wd I think the most I can do is a 285/55R16 which is a crazy expensive and rare tire. For me to get into a 305/65R xx (16 stock) would have to move to an R18 most likely). I would need at least a 4 inch lift and those are out there, but hard to come by on a 2wd truck. :-( its never easy is it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    265's are narrow? My 2000 came stock with 235's, 265's are the best thing out there. . I really would like a tire as wide as a 305, but want to stick with a 65-75 height.



    Since I am 2wd I think the most I can do is a 285/55R16 which is a crazy expensive and rare tire. For me to get into a 305/65R xx (16 stock) would have to move to an R18 most likely). I would need at least a 4 inch lift and those are out there, but hard to come by on a 2wd truck. :-( its never easy is it.
    Go get you a transfer case and a front axle and do a 4 link then your set

  5. #5
    Jr. Mechanic GrizzlyTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jackson Tennessee
    Posts
    130

    Default

    The 305/60/r18 and 305/65/r18 cost more than regular 33's Damn why can't anything be cheap and easy?

    Ya'll think I can fit a 305/65r18 on my 2012 z71 4x4 with a 2.5" RC lift without rub?

  6. #6

    Default

    I rub at full lock with 305/60s with 2.5 lift front and rear. So I would think your going to rub a decent amount with a 305/65. But you can trim away the inner fender up front and see what happens

  7. #7
    Jr. Mechanic GrizzlyTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jackson Tennessee
    Posts
    130

    Default

    ahmitchell1
    I think we have a similar setup NNBS 4x4 2.5" rough country lift, 18" chevy rims, so do the 305/60/R18 rub any other time besides full lock? I'm just trying to get the widest (quietest) tire I can fit without trimming. I want it as tall as I can without being an issue in parking garages when I get in the city.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyTN View Post
    ahmitchell1
    I think we have a similar setup NNBS 4x4 2.5" rough country lift, 18" chevy rims, so do the 305/60/R18 rub any other time besides full lock? I'm just trying to get the widest (quietest) tire I can fit without trimming. I want it as tall as I can without being an issue in parking garages when I get in the city.
    Yup only on full lock. In using cooper stts which aren't very quite but I love them. Just remember all companies tires are a little bigger or smaller than the actual size. Like nittos usually run big

Similar Threads

  1. More tire questions - width versus height
    By jjcrow in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last: 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM
  2. biggest tire with stock height
    By fender_fan969 in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last: 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
  3. How wide of a tire can I fit?
    By 99monguse in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 2
    Last: 03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
  4. extra tpms set? - Tire Sensors
    By rust4 in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last: 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
  5. How wide of tire
    By Kady in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last: 03-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •