GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default What's the deal with the Buzz from the Onstar Mic????

I have seen others talk about it And now I have this problem The Speaker or Mic above my head in my 08 Avalanche is now Buzzing. As soon as I start the truck.. Anyone know how to stop it?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Ok I was just told it a temp sensor for the climate control. But why would it be Buzzing? And how do you stop it? I think I remember people saying they blew air in and cleaned it out..

If it's in the headliner above your head, its an internal temp sensor for the auto HVACs. The onstar mic is in the console above the mirror.
    The temp sensor is a thermistor with a small fan that blows air across it. It is the small fan that is noisy.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    If it's in the headliner above your head, its an internal temp sensor for the auto HVACs. The onstar mic is in the console above the mirror.
    The temp sensor is a thermistor with a small fan that blows air across it. It is the small fan that is noisy.
    Rayvoy is correct. It is a hvac sensor. They are easy to take out, just pull down on the grill part and it will pop off. Then slide your hand on top of the headliner and grab it. (might need to remove your visor for more room) I use a screwdriver thru the hole where the grill sat to pop off the connector. Then pull it out. I disassemble them, just pop the cover off and carefully bend the thermistor out of the way, then remove the fan or impeller, clean them up well, and apply a drop of gun oil or household oil to the pin and magnet looking thing that it rides on. reassemble and reinstall. The fix usually lasts about 2 years depending on the amount of dust that gets sucked into it. When they start making noise again just repeat the process.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Everyone here is right. It's the small fan in the temperature sensor for the climate controls that makes noise. Mine does the same thing and it drives me crazy. For me, it seems to only do it when its cool outside or when i first start the truck and the interior is not up to normal temperature yet.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Legend

Thanks guys.. I will get her done today...... And take pics.....

Of course after I replied with the way I fix it, I get in my truck to take my son to school and mine is doing it now! I have not fixed it yet in this truck as I have only had it a few months. Guess I have another thing to add to the weekend to do list. Glad it is only a 10 minute job.

Legend

Well I took the shop Vac to it today and we will see how that worked in the morning.. And if that does not work I will be taking it all apart..