GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What do I need to know about rack and pinion installation on a 2wd silverado

So the boot on my driver side has been leaking fluid and it is getting worse. I took the truck in for a balance and alignment and they showed it to me and it is leaking more than last time I was in. I can keep topping off the power steering fluid for a while , but at some point its going to need to be rebuilt/replaced.

Merchants told me a replace would cost less and take less time (labor) because they come in a few pieces vs a rebuild where they would have to take mine apart and rebuild it.

They quoted me $392.99 for the part and 9 "units" of labor totaling $209 for labor. I went ahead and ran by the dealership next (so I could get the GM part numbers and see what I could get the parts for (doing that today).

The thing is I have never replaced a rack and pinion..... So I would like all the info I can get so I am not surprised by something if I do it myself or can recruit a friend or 2 to help me do it.

Are there any special tools I would need also if I am not taking the thing apart, but buying new parts and swaping out the old ones?

It should be pretty straight forward. Remove the outer tie rods from the knuckle, remove the two lines going to the rack. You might want some line wrenches for that. Pull the bolt out of the intermediate shaft. Disconnect the shaft. (Lock your steering wheel so you don't damage your clock spring). Pull the nuts off the bolts holding the unit (my manual says to slide the bolts forward into the frame to help you remove the unit) and take it out.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)