GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Question Looking for advice on lowering 2003 Sonoma

Hi, my name is Andrew and my friend just picked up an '03 Sanoma. I used to on a lowered Accord that was pretty much race ready and he always loved the lowrider style my car had.

He wants to lower the truck and try his best to run a pretty tight fender/wheel clearance for a bit of a hella sunk look.

I am currently working on talking him out of putting a body kit on it lol.

The truck is in really good shape inside and out with only a minor rust spot that he is getting dealt with.

So what are the best ways to lower these trucks? Prefer to avoid putting it on bags.

Where are some good places to find wheel options and what offsets/backspacing is best for running a bit of a mild wheel tuck?

Advice/input is much appreciated, thanks!!

Are you looking to stretch the fender out and give it the drift lip? The only way to get a good tucked rim is to measure it yourself n find the rim that will work. The only vehicles I tuck rims on are my drift cars and I just use the phone book trick to get the perfect tuck. For the drop just google search it online and find some spindles and shackle drops and it'll sit nice.
    please don't let him put a body kit on it, they aren't for trucks.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Welcome to GM Truck Club!

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

You can lower it with shorter springs. But most folks do the air bag route because you can control the height. If you just want one height than you don't need bags. But the spindles probably have to be replaced with ones designed for a lowered vehicle. Otherwise the suspension geometry is all messed up when it gets lowered. You might take a look at Stylin' Trucks to see what they sell for lowering kits or components.

Personally, I would not lower the truck. If he really wants a lowered truck I would use an older one.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Why would you recommend using an older one?

He doesnt have to really slam it, he just wants a much more aggressive lowrider style stance on the truck. I think just dropping it a few inches max will do the trick. I looked under the truck and there seems to be tonnes of ground cleanance.

On my Accord I had under two inches clearance when I was dropped lol, I scraped off EVERYTHING haha.

What's this phone book trick?

...edit... checked out the stylin' trucks site, they have a perfect lowering kit. Thanks for that!

Yes he likes the drift lip look. I don't think he needs to push it as tight as the hella flush guys do but just enough to notice the truck has an aggressive stance and help it appear lower. He would like to tuck the back wheels in a bit and slightly tuck the fronts enough he can still turn the wheels lol.

....I know....body kits ughhh.....I was always hugely anti body kit when in the Accord scene so I am trying to tell him they are cheap and will just get broken off anyways. Pretty sure I can still convince him it will look better without. Feel free to post pics of dope lowered trucks w/ out body kits to help me out there haha.

Thanks for the welcomes!
    Last edited by SleepyG; 10-22-2012 at 02:16 PM.