GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Turbo 350 transmission shaft

I have a major question about my truck. I have a 81 blazer with a 5.7 motor, turbo 350 trans, 208 transfer case and a 12 bolt rearend with 3:08 gears. I have had to replace the rearend 3 times and shortly after replacing the rearend i have to get my trans rebuilt again for the 3rd time. This time it lasted about 3 yrs with 1 yr down time and 2 yrs of drive time i do not play in the mud at all or hot rod the truck. I was wondering if the output shaft of the transmission being shorten {cut} to fit in the 208 transfer case be a problem of any sort

The rearend was the first to go when the bolt broke that holds the pinion shaft in and then the pinion shaft hit the pinion gear and broken a tooth off of it. Drove it a year and a half like that. Replaced rearend then the transmission broke had it rebuilt. Then the ring gear on the new rearend broke a tooth on it and every now and then either the transmission or the rearend would lock up until i would roll backwards after that i had know problem with it for a while. Then i replaced the rearend again and a coulpe of months later had to have transmission rebuilt again. Found that rearend was already broke and replaced rearend again. 4 months later i lost 2nd and 3rd gear with no tell tell signs just want shift out of 1st gear repalces filter and fuild and check the governor still want shift out of 1st gear
    Last edited by SCOTT9623; 10-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Which failed first? Tranny or axle? Which part caused the failure? I don't see how a change in the output shaft could cause an issue unless there is another issue with the shaft. Like is it bent or damaged in some other way.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Are you getting the trans and axle rebuilt at the same place each time?
    This sounds like a very high failure rate, I've thoroughly abused the same drive train set-up on a couple different Chevy trucks and never had as much of a problem as you seem to be having.