GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which alternator do I have?

I have 2001 Silverado w/ the 4.8L V-8. How do I tell which alternator I have? Does anyone know how many amps the stock alternator has? If not, where do I look to find that info?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

That model shows a 145mm (5 3/4") diameter case (145amp output) and a 135mm (5 3/8") Diameter case (105 amp output) . So, I would say that you have to pull it off and measure it or when you go to buy a new one take yours with you and match up the sizes.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Pikey, could he use the RPO codes on the glove box door? For example, my truck has a KG3 code which is the 145 amp alt.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Pikey, could he use the RPO codes on the glove box door? For example, my truck has a KG3 code which is the 145 amp alt.

Good call @RayVoy , I did not even think of that. He could use a vin decoder like http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
    and view all the rpo and options on his truck

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Good call @RayVoy , I did not even think of that. He could use a vin decoder like http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
    and view all the rpo and options on his truck
    Thanks for the link, Pikey! It worked. I typed in my VIN and it gave back a ton of information. It shows I have the 105 amp alternator.

Glad to help

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I am still in need of replacing my alternator but, upon replacing it, I'd also like to upgrade it. I currently have the OE 105A alternator and would like to go to the 145A alternator. Is there any harm in making that big of a jump? Will there be any other electrical parts I'll need to change out as well or will it simply be just an alternator swap?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I am still in need of replacing my alternator but, upon replacing it, I'd also like to upgrade it. I currently have the OE 105A alternator and would like to go to the 145A alternator. Is there any harm in making that big of a jump? Will there be any other electrical parts I'll need to change out as well or will it simply be just an alternator swap?
    auto zone has the 105/145 amp both should fit. most use the 145. I replaced my 105 with a 105 but the larger should fit. also many do use the larger when they need replacing. If for some reason you do not like the fit just bring back and get the 105. looks like the 105 is more money. lifetime warranty. thats why I got new replacement at auto zone . was $140 a few years ago.

I'm not too worried about the physical fit of the alternator. I'm more curious about the electrical fit - as in, is it going to hurt anything electrically if all I do is swap the 105A for the 145A alternator and nothing more?

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I'm not too worried about the physical fit of the alternator. I'm more curious about the electrical fit - as in, is it going to hurt anything electrically if all I do is swap the 105A for the 145A alternator and nothing more?
    No, it will only provide what is required. Just like installing a larger 12 volt battery, there is more power if required, but only when required.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast