GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need advice mpg on my 6.0 2500

hi guys and gays i recently bought a 09 2500 6.0 six speed auto,i gave up my 06 1500 5.3,well going t from 19 mpg to 13mpg i knew the relality of this i guess my problem is i bought a new trailer its all aluminum 1100lb enclosed 14ft i put 3 quads in it and went riding and i went 102 miles and i used over a 1/2 tank.now it was hilly highway running around 70 mph,it doesnt seem to like to lug like it should or my trailer is the problem.its a trailer over axle and its 6 ft tall only the last 2 1/2 ft is slooped back the rest is flat and its the widest it can legally be.can this be the cause of the 5mpg with alot of wind drag?,i know alot guys say the older 6.0 didnt change much towing i need to something i want to take it snowmobiling but at 5 mpg i cant drive to far,your imput would be appreciated or trade it for a old 454 big block,yes i know buy a duramax that would be overkill for a 1100 pound trailer thanks

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Best bet is drop to 60 mph-you'll increase your 5mpg to close to 7 mpg.
    Your trailer has a flat front-1 cd 42 sq feet(6x7)
    Your pickup is also 6x7=42 But if effective frontal area is 20 sq ft
    You have TRIPLED your frontal area. 62/20=3
    At 60 mph roughly 1/2 the fuel goes to rolling resistance 1/2 goes to aero resistanc-BUT this is assuming maybe .4cd NOT 1.0CD.
    At 70 mph rolling resistance increases to 70/60 or 1.17
    But at 70 mph aero resistance increases by 70/60 x 70/60 or 1.36

My point is at 70 mph with that trailer probably 4/5 of every gallon is is going to push air out of the way.
    At 60 mph maybe 3/5 gallon will push air out of the way 1/5 for rolling resistance-
    so 5miles/.8 gallons = 6.25mpg instead of 5 mpg-this adds maybe 40 miles to your range??
    It might be even more than 6.25mpg you might get 7-8 mpg.
    Bolts ons-CAI exhaust headers -won't improve part throttle FE- yes well meaning folks will say it will- but it won't.
    GMs engineers know more about efficiency that ANY aftermarket CAI builders do-
    CAIs are for making peak power-AND $$$

55mph will get you 8 mpg-glide down any hills-stay off the brakes to get good FE.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I can't believe your getting that bad mileage. When my dad pulls our cattle trailer with his 08 2500 6.0 he still gets close to ten and thats with two to three steers in the back. It'll get about 13 to 14 without a trailer.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

wow thanks that was in depth,thank you! well i was considering going back to the builder of the trailer,witch is 8 miles away and maybe seeing if it can can be modded at all.at the time i ordered it i had a 1500 and i wanted something light i could have got a v nose all alluminum almost the same money but it wieghed more.i like the truck i wanted a 1500 max 6.2 but there hard to come by i got this one cheap but the gas is killing me but thats another story at this point.i cant believe i didnt see the wind drag issue when i ordered it its a beautiful trailer but i think its a foot wider on both sides of the truck like you said its got alot of drag.driving 55 mph on the interstates is not the best idea, hell you get run over doing 65 if you have time go to worthingtontrailers.com mines the ez loader i even got the aluminum wheels i increased the hieght 5 inches thanks for all the help!

wheatley tune is all you need

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

whats that not on here enough to know, they eay there isnt much you can do with the newer generation 6.0

Good info by phoebeisis. dropping to 60 will help boost mpg some. the 5 mpg seems pretty low. as others have said with my 6.0 towing I havent seen much of a decrease in mpg (maybe down to 9-10) but I usually keep to the 60-65 for the most part towing. what gears do they stick with the 6 speed. being the 2500 I would still assume it is the 3.73-4.10. if they stuck something taller like a 3.43 (dont know why they would in a 3/4 ton) I could see that having to work harder to move a loaded vehicle especially up the hills. Also with any tranny especially a 6 speed if you are doing hills and in OD and having to floor it up the hills sometimes its actually better to be in a lower gear where you arent having to use as much throttle (higher RPMs but less throttle to do it). for example at times I pull a small light utility trailer (only about 900 lbs loaded). had to take it on a longer trip over a tall grade. with the small trailer I stuck it at 60 and up the hill kept it in 3rd so I had a lighter throttle (my truck also has to push 35's with 4.10's so it has to work a little harder anyways up hills), but on the trip I managed 13.5 mpg which is almost .5-1 mpg than I normally get driving. Fortunately if I am towing the small trailer it really doesnt have any drag aerodynamically as it is small and mostly sits in the vaccuum created at the back of my truck. Also check for proper tire inflation as that can add to rolling resistance and fluids (diff, tranny etc.), possibly check all the stuff you would with a tuneup since you purchased used.

As you said the trailer has a flat front, you are trying to push something with the aerodynamics of a brick through the air at 70 mpg.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 11-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

LIKE dsfloyd says- 5mpg is really bad for that modern 6.0.It is a pretty efficient tow motor.He makes good points on gear selection and tire pressure also-pump them to near max on sidewall- not door pressure.
    I don't think I have ever seen anyone get that poor(maybe they were too bummed to report it)
    I don't think I have seen anyone with a 454 report 5 mpg!!
    Lotta folks do something called driving with load-just a fancy way of saying kinda glide uphill-don't try to hold 70 mph- just give enough gas so you slowly drop to maybe 60 mph at the top -get you speed back "free" going downhill
    Yes, it is tough to drive 55 mph on interstates.
    62-65 mph is about as slow as I can safely drive from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ on I-10 I-20 I-40

Any chance your odometer is wrong? Taller than stock tires?
    Dragging brakes-truck or trailer?
    Do you have heavily lugged tires on the truck-tire pressure too low.
    I would check my odometer against official mile markers-do it for 100 miles.
    5 mpg is just too low-even for 70 mph towing a huge,but very light-brick.
    Charlie
    Can you measure that trailer width- it isn't 8 feet is it??
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Jr. Mechanic

I have a friend with a 2008 CC 4x4 2500 with the 6.0 engine. He went from western North Dakota to Wisconsin to get a backhoe. Pulling a 30 ft. tandem axle goose neck trailer empty he got 8 mpg...on the way back with the hoe he got 4. So they will burn gas when you work them...and he was no doubt overloaded.

well like i said its a 2009 2500 6.0 3.73 gears, it only has 27,000 miles on it so its hardly broke in,it has 2657516 tires they are a little agressive there only c rated so the low pressure lights on for the rear,planning some e rated 2857516 in the spring.it seems it does need 4:11 rear,hell at 65 mph in 6 gear its only running 1700 rpm so its just like my 1500 that thing at 80 mph was running around 2000 rpm,six gear seems worthless when towing because of the rpm range i think the guys with the 4 speed old 6.0 with a 4:11 rear was a great towing gear,i think towing around 2200rpm is about perfect i guess i need to learn how to drive agian do you guys think that any programmers would help they say the stock exhaust is really good that any headers etc wouldnt help much any imput so far would be great thanks agian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast