GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 00 silverado engine oil loss

Hello, I have a 2000 silvy with 5.3 and around 125000 on the odometer. It runs great and everything seems fine but for some reason I'm loosing oil. After about 3000 miles I checked the oil level just before an oil change and there was just a small amount on the tip of the dip stick. I changed the oil and drove it for almost another 3000 and today the check oil level warning came on and it was the same thing, just barely showing on the stick. Im not seeing any leaks or smoke from burning oil but its going somewhere! Getting kinda worried here and just want to know if anyone has a suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Legend

what oil are you using ? viscosity ? what oil filters used ? when did you last replace the PCV ?

Im using valvoline 10w 30 with a fram filter and never touched the pcv but that was the direction i was leaning towards. Ive had the truck for about 5 years and this is the first time this has happened.

Legend

The PCV wears out. this then will suck too much crankcase vapors into the engine. a slow but steady loss of oil. you may also notice higher than normal idle. should be solid 600rpm in gear.
    I replace this at 30-40,ooomi.

also check the crankcase venting hoses on both sides of the engine.

I would change the oil to synthetic and use purolator pure one,wix, or the NAPA gold oil filters.

regular engine oil with alcohol fuels is not a good mix. the fuel used today has water in it [alcohol] this does get into the crankcase and regular oil gets sludged and acidic.

replacing the Dino oil at the 3,ooomi is proper . I used to go 3500-4000mi but that predated the use of alcohol in the gasoline.

I have a 2000 SIL 5.3L 4X4 with 140,ooomi . synthetic oil 5-30wt. I replace oil 8,ooomi. use about 1/2 qt.

using pure one purolator or wix filters.

I have a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 and the exact same problem.... not sure where the issue is yet. I replace the PCV valve with every oil change (which is more often than needed) but it is only like $3.49 at the auto parts store.

My owners manual calls for 5w-30 but I have moved to a heavier 10w-30 and it helped a little. Synthetic will just make it leak more if it is leaking so I would advise against synthetic for the time being. Its more expensive and you will be putting more in if you have a leak $$$$

I stand by the K&N oil filters, not because of the name or the price, but because I can take a 1 inch socket to install and remove it.... I hate those grip oil filter tools, I like my sockets better. It also saves on the install and removal time of the filter (allot).

I have 220,000 miles on mine and replace the oil about every 5,000 miles.

Great info guys! Ill get a new pcv in and take it from there. Thanks again.