GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help with aiming headlights ~ GMC Yukon XL

I bought a set of GM OEM Denali headlights for the yukon xl today. I installed them and am attempting to get them aimed properly. I know @SurrealOne has done this with his lights. (No LMGTFY please Surreal!) I did google it and that is how I came to this point. Here are my questions, How do I know what height to set them at as a baseline? How do I know that they are at the correct angle (left and right) I don't want to blind other drivers but if they are to low then I am losing out on distance. I put them in and pulled up to the garage door. I made sure the cutoff was even for both lights. I then put piece of tape at the top of the cutoff. Then I put a piece of tape 2 1/8" below that piece. I backed up 25 feet and the cutoff hits right at the top of the lower line. Perfect as DOT specifies a 2.1-2.5" drop over 25 feet. But, if my base height is incorrect then it is all off anyway. I also noticed at 25 feet the cutoff does not line up perfectly like it did at 1 foot. the drivers side cutoff seems to slant down toward the passenger side a small amount. I have not messed with the other adjuster because I have to take them in and out every time and did not have time tonight. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks @SurrealOne . That is much better than the crap I found searching google.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Thanks @SurrealOne . That is much better than the crap I found searching google.
    It's the first thing that comes up when one searches for 'how to aim headlights' and yes, it's thorough -- but Popular Mechanics' stuff usually is. This begs the question of what the heck you were searching for...

lol! I have no idea. Apparently I was drunk. Which is odd because I did not drink at all that day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    lol! I have no idea. Apparently I was drunk. Which is odd because I did not drink at all that day!!!
    Methinks I should have responded with another lmgtfy link, initially.