GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Seriously considering changing adding wheel motors for electrical drive in the truck

I posted a while back about how the freight trains use small diesels to drive generators to create electricity to power wheel motors and that is what drives the freight engine.

This company has done a ford F150 that will run 100 miles on a full electrical charge.

http://www.proteanelectric.com/?page_id=98&cat=32

for me that would be about 2.5 commutes from home to work each week per electrical charge. All together I am putting in between $70 and $100 in 87 or 93 oct in my tank a week.

Depending on the cost of parts and install, and how long I keep the truck it might be worth the upgrade.

After looking at the website, the concept is exciting. Keep us all posted on your efforts as they proceed. Best of luck!

huh, this is a pretty interesting concept to say the least. Are you going to think about doing this soon?

Right now, I don't commute very far at all. I would not go more than 20 miles on any given day for the entire commute, so an electric/hybrid would make a lot of sense for people like me as well.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I posted a while back about how the freight trains use small diesels to drive generators to create electricity to power wheel motors and that is what drives the freight engine.

This company has done a ford F150 that will run 100 miles on a full electrical charge.

http://www.proteanelectric.com/?page_id=98&cat=32

for me that would be about 2.5 commutes from home to work each week per electrical charge. All together I am putting in between $70 and $100 in 87 or 93 oct in my tank a week.

Depending on the cost of parts and install, and how long I keep the truck it might be worth the upgrade.
    Initial cost to upgrade? Also, how well does a wheeled vehicle on asphalt tow or haul with that setup? Yes, I know it works fine for railed vehicles -- but we lack the low coefficient of friction that railed vehicles enjoy ... and we also have congestion and stop/go traffic issues that railed vehicles lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    huh, this is a pretty interesting concept to say the least. Are you going to think about doing this soon?

Right now, I don't commute very far at all. I would not go more than 20 miles on any given day for the entire commute, so an electric/hybrid would make a lot of sense for people like me as well.
    it depends on the price. I tried calling their US number and got some sort of Citrix conference line. I have some co workers in the UK, I will see if I can reach their UK office and figure out what is going on and get a price and potential installers here in the US.

That would be my deciding factor on the upgrade or not.

Well I just got off the phone with their UK office and the receptionist was great. She said that they are still in the final design stages and the product is not on the market now, but should be soon ( I would expect 6months to 12 months); I hope it is not longer.

She acknowledged that they got my email request for information yesterday and their sales and marketing team would be responding.

We will see how this goes.
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 10-23-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Update