GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tribes Hill, New York
    Posts
    1

    Default changing engine oil & filter

    Hey guys new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone has some help to replace the oil filter without getting oil all over the place. The oil runs down the filter and my arm, makes a mess and there has to be a better way. thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homey hall View Post
    Hey guys new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone has some help to replace the oil filter without getting oil all over the place. The oil runs down the filter and my arm, makes a mess and there has to be a better way. thanks for any help.


    Although there isn't much room on my 6.0L, one trick I used on my former truck (a 5.9L Cummins) was to place a quart freezer bag over the filter...most of the oil would run into the bag as the filter was loosened.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    One trick I have heard used by people is to loosen the oil filter, then poke a hole in it with say a nail or something. This of coursecan be bad if you drive the nail too far up into the filter and hit something. I don't recomment this at all.

    In theory this would allow the oil to drain out of the filter, then you take it off.

    I simply loosen the filter and let it drain before removing it. It's a little messy, but nothing too bad.

  5. #5

    Default

    I poke a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter. One in the center, one to the side, near the edge. Then I loosen it so the oil will drain out faster. And get some rubber or latex gloves from the hardware or auto parts store.
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!


  6. #6

    Default

    That's what shop rags are for, just wipe the worst of it off before you pop the top on the bud light

  7. #7

    Default

    Ditto on poking a hole in the bottom of the filter, just let it drain till it's done dripping. I also installed a Fumoto (sp) valve in place of my drain plug, makes changing the oil "almost" pleasant.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    I poke a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter. One in the center, one to the side, near the edge. Then I loosen it so the oil will drain out faster. And get some rubber or latex gloves from the hardware or auto parts store.
    Quote Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
    Ditto on poking a hole in the bottom of the filter, just let it drain till it's done dripping. I also installed a Fumoto (sp) valve in place of my drain plug, makes changing the oil "almost" pleasant.
    I would suggest loosening the filter slightly first just to make sure you can get it off.

  9. #9

    Default

    I just break the filter loose and loosen it a few turns. I have my drain pan underneath before loosening it. If you do it fast enough, you have time to get your hand out before the oil starts to bleed out. Then, I grab the filter with a paper shop towel and take it the rest of the way off and turn it upside down in the drain pan.

    I then take that shop towel and wipe the threads and sealing surface to make sure there isn't any crud left behind. I get all of that done in less time than it takes to poke holes in the filter housing and wait around for it to drain.

    'Ya get a little dirty, but that's half of the fun of working on your own stuff! ;)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

    Check out my image gallery HERE.



    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

  10. #10
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    I just break the filter loose and loosen it a few turns. I have my drain pan underneath before loosening it. If you do it fast enough, you have time to get your hand out before the oil starts to bleed out. Then, I grab the filter with a paper shop towel and take it the rest of the way off and turn it upside down in the drain pan.

    I then take that shop towel and wipe the threads and sealing surface to make sure there isn't any crud left behind. I get all of that done in less time than it takes to poke holes in the filter housing and wait around for it to drain.

    'Ya get a little dirty, but that's half of the fun of working on your own stuff! ;)
    This...^ exactly what I do.
    2012 silver ice metallic Silverado CC 4X4 /6.2L / 373/9.5" rear max trailering package/ 18" Z71 rims with 285/65/18 BFG TA/KO Ebony leather interior / 2011 grill insert with black mesh/rear fender liners and bed rail protectors/ Z71 skid plates/GM bed mat/2" billet aluminum under strut front leveling kit

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. changing a fuel filter 2008 2500 hd
    By 08bowtie in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last: 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM
  2. Changing Fuel Filter
    By F E Knucklebuster in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 17
    Last: 05-17-2010, 06:33 AM
  3. changing the cabin filter
    By nickgiacalone in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last: 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM
  4. changing oil filter '98 5.7 4wd
    By MrShorty in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 21
    Last: 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
  5. Fuel Filter Changing
    By BradyQ in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)
    Replies: 6
    Last: 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •