GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Rear Axle Gear change ~ What's the Cost for a 2007 Silverado

I'm looking for anyone that could provide a "Ballpark" guess of cost to change rear axle gear in my truck to make it more suitable for towing.

Info:
    07 Silverado 1500 W/T 4x2
    5.3L Engine, 4-Speed Auto
    3.23:1 Rear Axle
    43,800 mi

Looking to change to 3.73:1 or possibly 4.10:1

I'm in the Raleigh NC area so anyone with local experience is a plus.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Quote Originally Posted by awtposts View Post
    I'm looking for anyone that could provide a "Ballpark" guess of cost to change rear axle gear in my truck to make it more suitable for towing.

Info:
    07 Silverado 1500 W/T 4x2
    5.3L Engine, 4-Speed Auto
    3.23:1 Rear Axle
    43,800 mi

Looking to change to 3.73:1 or possibly 4.10:1

I'm in the Raleigh NC area so anyone with local experience is a plus.

Thanks in advance for replies.
    Welcome to the club Awtposts, There are a number of us here in the greater Raleigh area, I know that @SurrealOne did a re-gear and might have the most up to date local information on a re-gear. Not sure about the axle swap, it might not be needed unless you are going to do allot of really heavy towing.

Thanks nakranij, I will be towing a new TT weighing just over 6100lb and after much research, I have to agree to some comments I've found wondering why would GM put a 3.23 gear in something with a Trailer & Tow package? Makes no sense but I'm looking for recommendations for a shop to get pricing in the Raleigh NC Area to replace the gears or any recommendation really. If I go this route, would it be wrthwhile to go with a 4.10 instead of 3.73?

If you are going to upgrade I think the 4.10 is the better option, my truck came with the 3.43 gear ratio.

Both of our ratio's are better for commuting and occasional towing, but we get somewhat better gas mileage. 4.10 is more for serious towing (at least on the low end, you can go up from there), but you will loose some mpgs's.

Then you can compensate for the loss in mpg's by changing the tire size a little to be "within" spec and using a programmer to re-program your computer.

I got ya on that and it's right in line to what I've learned so far. I'm not worried about the 1-2 mpg really. More concerned about being safe with my family and not wanting to be forced into the "Granny Lane" going into the NC Mountains grunting along at redline doing 20mph.

Any recommendations on a shop in the area?

Legend

Blog Entries

Since you're not really worried about mileage, I'd go with the 4:10 as well and even more so if you ever plan on increasing tire diameter. But just in case, I pasted a link to a chart below that may be of some help.

For a good set of gears and labor, it will probably cost about $500 to $600. And yes, @SurrealOne will be able to point towards a good shop or two.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/gear-ratio-chart.html

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals