GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2006 Suburban LTZ - Rumbling noise 35~50 MPH

Hello,
    I have a 2006 Suburban LTZ with the 5.3L Vortex engine and off road package. It has 100K miles. I have done all regular maintenance at local Chevy dealer. Just did 100K tune up. Trany flush / maintence at 60K, etc. When driving after the warm up we get a supradic rumble that seems to come form engine compartment. This is not constant but seems to occur when driving in local traffic not highway at speeds between 35~50. RPMs are typically low 1500 RPM and usually when feathering gas as in constant moving traffic situation. I'm thinking it may be a speed sensor but dealer stated there has not been many problems with tranny on 2006 model. No idiot light indications either.

Any thoughts appreceated

Thanks

Mark
    Venango PA

Welcome Mark, perhaps a pulley, or a belt driven device under the hood. Idler pulleys and belt tensioner pulleys are a common failure item. Try takeing the belts off and turning the different pulleys by hand, see if any sound/feel rough.

It could also be a tire with a broken belt.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Hi Ray - Thanks for the guidance.

I'll try the pullies to see what happens. Just had 4 new sneakers put on, Cooper discovery H/T's so probally not that. I guess the other thing I should mention is that I did have front end alignment because it was tracking left significantly. Even after alignemnet still not perfect but much better.

Thaks again!
    Mark

Don't completely discount the sneakers, I've had brand new one with belt problems. I don't think it happens very often, but it is a possibility.

I too have had brand new tires that had bad belts. They replaced 2 on my wifes torrent after 6 months because the would howl at highway speeds. I would make sure that you checkout the ac compressor when the belts are off. Some compressors will make the noise that you are describing when they engage ans disengage. That would explain why you only hear it at slower speeds. After having my 2003 yukon xl for 3 months I finally figured out that the ac was always on unless I pressed the snowflake button. Then a icon with a snowflake with a line thru it would show up on the HVAC control. Before I discovered that I would here that compressor kick on and off constantly. It was the first and only GM vehicle I have owned that had a default mode with the AC on.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)