GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 5.3L's that eat oil

Any one else have one of the 5.3L's that likes to eat oil? I'm not sure what the engine code is or what model years it affects. I have a 2007 that has eaten 2 quarts in less than 2,000 miles. I took it back to the dealership as I have just bought the truck May 5th. The service rep told me that I as not the only one that was having the problem and that GM was working on a fix. Today I got a call that GM came out with a TSB for the problem. Apparently the solution is to replace the valve covers. So I'm taking my truck in on Monday for the new covers

Anyone else in this boat???
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3L,
    Blue Granite Metallic
    removed lower front air dam, de-badged, Line-X in bed and on step bars and rear fender wells, 2.5" Top Gunz Leveling kit, tinted windows
    __________________________________________________ ______

Zach

40,000 miles no problems 5.3 e85 nnbs. Is yours e85 compatible

Jr. Apprentice

No, mine takes regular only. By the way I just hit 69K, so might want keep this in the back of your head.
    Blue Granite Metallic
    removed lower front air dam, de-badged, Line-X in bed and on step bars and rear fender wells, 2.5" Top Gunz Leveling kit, tinted windows

Zach

If its leaking that much oil you would see it all over the bottom of the truck and on the ground where you park.
    Do you see any signs of a leak?

Bert
    "Race Car Spelled Backwards is Racecar"

03 Silverado 2WD extended cab 5.3 with towing package white/silver
    70GS455

X2 what ibmoses said.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1317 View Post
    Any one else have one of the 5.3L's that likes to eat oil? I'm not sure what the engine code is or what model years it affects. I have a 2007 that has eaten 2 quarts in less than 2,000 miles. I took it back to the dealership as I have just bought the truck May 5th. The service rep told me that I as not the only one that was having the problem and that GM was working on a fix. Today I got a call that GM came out with a TSB for the problem. Apparently the solution is to replace the valve covers. So I'm taking my truck in on Monday for the new covers

Anyone else in this boat???
    It is not just the 5.3L and it is not just the Chevy trucks... it's a whole slew of make/model/year which the GM TSB covers. Here's a portion of that TSB, taken from my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription:

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011E

Date: December 18, 2008
    Subject: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models:
    1998-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)
    2003-2009 HUMMER H2
    2006-2009 HUMMER H3
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption:
    The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important:
    Certain models have a new GM Extended Warranty. Please refer to the appropriate Owner's Manual for warranty information.

This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

[<snip>]
    If you click the following link, then scroll-down a little... you'll find the entire TSB (minus images, if you are not a subscriber) posted here:
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...an-great-until

Jr. Apprentice

o4-Silverado,

The TSB that I'm referring to just came out this past Thursday, though this seams to be talking about the same thing. The new TSB gives the solution to the problem. The fix is to replace the valve covers. I'm not sure if they are the same ones that are on now, or if GM manufactured a completely different set.

As for signs of leaking oil, there is none at all. NO puddles, nothing. It some how eats 1 quart every 1,000 miles.
    Blue Granite Metallic

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1317 View Post
    o4-Silverado,

The TSB that I'm referring to just came out this past Thursday, though this seams to be talking about the same thing. The new TSB gives the solution to the problem. The fix is to replace the valve covers. I'm not sure if they are the same ones that are on now, or if GM manufactured a completely different set.

As for signs of leaking oil, there is none at all. NO puddles, nothing. It some how eats 1 quart every 1,000 miles.
    I get that there is a newer TSB related to "oil consumption" ... thanks for clarifying that for us.

My point was that GM has had this issue, for a number of years on a wide variety of their makes/models, and they have yet to rectify the situation. If you read the entire TSB, to which I linked, they are essentially saying that it is NORMAL to consume a quart (0.946 liters) in 2,000 miles of driving. They are also saying:
    This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.
    IOW: it could be GM's position that using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is not to be unexpected (from their perspective). They would actually have to do extensive testing on your vehicle (given their stated parameters) to determine if: your driving is what they consider to be "normal" and that you are using the correct weigh oil and doing their recommended maintenance. If determined that your driving & use of the truck is within their "normal parameters" ... then they should be looking to mitigate LEAKS and/or doing a ring/valve job where that is indicated.

It's almost as if they are in cahoots with the BIG OIL companies... ya know, as the PRICE of oil rises, so might a "kick back" to GM (from BIG OIL)?!

At any rate:

You say there is no evidence of an oil leak... so my position is: GM changing "valve covers" is not going to mitigate your issue. That is to say... if the valve covers were leaking, you'd see oil & muck (accumulated airborne dust & dirt) at some location on your engine/tranny. I suspect that you, and the dealership, have checked to see if there is any OIL in your coolant... and since that is not the case: more than likely it's GM's choice of valve seals and/or piston rings which are NOT doing their job effectively... and therefore I suspect that you're burning oil, in minute amounts, through the combustion chambers (and the catalytic converters are vaporizing it).

Do let us know if "valve covers" solve the problem for you!
    Last edited by 04-silverado; 06-27-2010 at 10:40 AM.

What oil are you using and how often has it been changed?
    How many miles on the truck?

It dont sound like they are going to fix it, unfortunately.

Perhaps they can make you a trade deal you cant refuse to try and make things right.

Bert
    "Race Car Spelled Backwards is Racecar"

03 Silverado 2WD extended cab 5.3 with towing package white/silver
    70GS455

Bert asked what type / weigh OIL you are using. I suggest looking at your owner's manual (i.e., using 10W30 summers, and 5W30 winters). I also add LUCAS oil stabilizer to my vehicles, with every oil/filter change (keeping in mind that on engines which have not been properly maintained over the years... additives such as LUCAS, and other "thickeners" can actually cause such things as "valve tapping").

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast