GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2002 Silverado CEL Flashing

My CEL came on 2 days ago and this morning when I would try to power up a hill or hit 3k rpm it would start flashing and stop remaining lit when I got back to cruising rpm. Any suggestions?

A flashing CEL usually means a misfire condition of some sort. With a flashing light the vehicle should not be driven. It can damage your catalytic converters. I would take it to a parts store that does free CEL checks and see what codes it has. That will start pointing us in the right direction. When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? plug wires? Fuel filter? air filter? It could be as simple as a plug wire that has rubbed on something and has a hole in it causing arcing.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm gonna have a scanner put on it at lunch and ill post the code or codes

Replaced bank 2 catalytic converter, it's running like a champ now

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. Although it was not a cheap fix at least it is fixed

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Ran me 160, so too much of a dent

Quote Originally Posted by twitch2146 View Post
    Ran me 160, so too much of a dent
    That not that bad! I thought that it would be worse.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yea if I would have bought the entire y-pipe with cats it was 500 plus install, luckily these guys just cut the old one out and welded in a new one