GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snowplow questions

Hey everyone. So I recently moved into a new house with a 1/2 mile dirt road driveway. The previous owner had two plows out in the brush that he said I could have. So last weekend I pulled them out and one was clearly in better shape than the other. I plan to mount it to my 2007 1500 Silverado classic.the plow is a western with a unimount attached. I was wondering what I need to get this hooked up to my truck, how hard the install would be, how much I could expect to pay, and if there is a way to test the hydrolic that raises and lowers the plow. sorry for the onslaught of questions, but I am about as green as they get when it comes to snowplows. thanks in advance for the help. you guys always come through. If you need any more info let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0454.jpg   IMAG0451.jpg   IMAG0455.jpg   IMAG0453.jpg  
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Some are 12v and some 24, so find out which is needed, first. Most vehicles with plow kits also have upsized alternators (or dual alternators) and dual batteries, too.

That's about the limit of my knowledge on the subject ... as gleaned from reading done while researching dual battery approaches....

Not that we would ever need a plow in North Carolina, I looked at adding at least a plow kit since I go to Michigan allot to see family and thought it would be nice.

I checked out plow kits from GM (not the actual plow) but having the wiring, and connector, etc on a new truck and I was told that GM would only put plow kits on 2500's or larger trucks because they stress the frame on the lighter weight 1500's and it is not recommended which kinda bugged me.

But I get what they are saying, all that front impact to the frame dragging a plow over years will have some stress factor on the front frame of the truck.

your going to need amounting bracket for your truck and all the wiring for the truck and a control module for it. also like surreal menton you will need another battery and either dual alts or an upgraded alts. as for not p[utting it on a 1500 you will be fine i got friends with them on and it never did any damage yet. your truck is ment for a max weight on the front end and your going have to find out how much that is cause certain plows ways more then others. i also like to take the plow off of our work truck when we dont need it since it is easyer to get around town and saves on the stress of the front end.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Since haven't needed a plow I haven't looked at them in a long time but wow, that BOSS is nice

http://www.bossplow.com/power-v-dxt-plows

Sorry this is a little late on the response, but it appears you are not getting accurate responses here.

Chevy has offered a snowplow package in the 1500 in the past, depending on your cab configuration. Regardless, there are tons of 1500's out there with a plow on them. Anytime you put a plow on a truck, regardless of it's GVWR, they are hard on them. With that said, I have had one exactly like you have in the picture for four years now. I am very anal about my truck and take it easy while plowing. So far, no issues with the truck period. You do not need an extra battery or even an upgraded alternator. Sure they would be a nice addition, but you can do it with a good single battery in a stock set-up.

The picture of the plow is the same setup I have, but in a lot better condition than mine was originally. You are gonna needs Westerns ultra-mount (truck side) for your truck with the uni-mount conversion attachment. You truck is to new and they stopped making the uni-mount brackets by the time your truck was produced. Realistically, you are looking at about 800-1000 to get all the truck side wiring and brackets for your truck. However, he gave you a plow worth 800-1300 in my area in my area as it sits.

05 1500, 4x4, 5.3, trailer package, G80.

Custom backup camera and double din dvd

Sr. Mechanic

My plow truck is a 1983 GMC 1 ton with Dana 60 front and corporate 14 rear. There is now way I would put a plow on a half-ton. Maybe one of those little 6 foot wide plastic one's but not a Western like that. In my opinion it's just way too hard on them. That's a lot of weight hanging out front. I think guys that have them on half-tons either plow a very small driveway or their front ends are worn out, or will be. Half mile driveway and at least two passes each way, your plowing at least two miles every time, thats a lot of plowing. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3, Rancho 4", 18x9 XD Addicts, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grappler m/t's, Westin brush guard, Go Rino steps, Truxedo lo pro cover, magnaflow, tow mirrors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2003 escalade ext.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	44449
    This is what I have plowed with for the last 5 years. I have plowed 3 driveways a year with it one of them which is mine is about 700ft long with a large parking area. The polycarbonate blade makes it about 70lbs lighter than a steel blade and the unit has down pressure to make up for the lighter blade. I put a new battery in it when I installed the plow and am running the stock alternator. I do notice the voltage gauge drop when using the plow this is why a stepped up alternator is usually recommended but Ive had no problems....Yet. The Escalade is a 1/2 ton platform and I havent had any problems with worn out front end ect. I would not use it for commercial use like parking lots or a lot of driveways as then I could see the downside of having it on the 1/2 ton. Also I remove the plow (usually only takes a minute) whenever Im driving some distance or the weather is forcasted clear(like last winter here) for some time. I had to remove the plastic splash shield I call it from under the engine for the mount and that allowed a lot of salt to take its toll on some of the steel lines that may have normally been protected. You will need the plow mount for the truck,lighting wiring harness, controller or joystick, and some wiring for the plow itself which should include relays or modules depending on brand. Good luck getn it going. Also if your doing just your own driveway you may find it cheaper to go buy a winter beater with a plow already on it and park it on your property.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I have a Western set-up for my S-10 pickup that I had for about 3 years. Before that, I used a Meyer for 11 years on my old S-10 Blazer. If you use a commercial battery, it will take up the ampacity of a stock alternator. It will be fine if you don't use it for commercial use. In my case, it takes me about a 1/2 hour to do my 400 ft driveway, so the energy robbed from the battery does not run it down to an unacceptable level.

Once I got rid of the Blazer and bought a new Western set-up, I found out that there are harness kits that are vehicle specific as well as the mechanical mounts. You will also need an internal controller if they didn't include one. Mine is as easy to use as a video game controller. The instructions are clear and installation is pretty easy.

HHR SS_________________The Heritage Hot Rod

Thanks for the info guys and sorry for my late response. I managed to get a.good (I think and hope...) price on the truck side parts locally on Craigslist. I am getting an ultramount mount for the truck, all wiring, and a controller, all in good shape for $625, that leaves me just needing the unimount to ultramount converter. I found that for $250ish online and will be ordering tonight. All together coming in around 876 doesn't seem to bad as I was contemplating just ordering one kit with everything new for $1600 wothout a controller. I have a.really busy weekend and am hoping to find some free time to start the install. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for the help.

Sent from my phone so excuse the .'s. And typos
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast