GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Roof rack for Chevy Suburban

I recently purchased an 87 suburban and wish to add a roof rack. A quick look at the Thule website only offers one solution with a maximum capacity of 165 pounds.
    Does anyone know of any rack system that might be fitting of an older square body suburban and/or can actually carry some cargo?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Check this out....http://www.perrycraft.com/ see if there is anything you like...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9037 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	45016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	086modifiedresized.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	45017
    Last edited by Enkeiavalanche; 10-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 384.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	45015I have used Yakima roof racks and I thought highly of them. I had it mounted on my grean cherokee to hold a bike and a snowboard rack. I don't know what the weight rating was though.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Thank you very much, Perrycraft does have many more options available than I had otherwise. I guess I never gave much thought to the weight capacity of roof racks before now, but even the best of them seem to be rated at 220lb. I know they must be capable of more, and certainly have probably exceeded them many times that weight without knowing.

Legend

Not safe but I have had about 250 at most on the Rails of mine.. they are a nice set up and much lower in price then The Big guys..

Sharp!! Like the Hood, don't usually like the twin scoops but looks good on this model!

I don't think the roofs of most vehicles were designed with the idea to put allot of weight on them.

Like the roofing guys that came by to replace my roof last week, they have one of those bed racks that extend over the roof so that can carry more weight above the cab of the truck, but it is mounted on supports coming out of the bed, not mounted to the roof.

I would think there is a break point where if it is too heavy for the roof, it goes in the cab or the bed, if it is too heavy for the cab or the bed, then it goes on a trailer that you are towing.

Legend

If you find the PerryCraft.com part numbers that you want and will work with your truck Pm me the part numbers..