GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default silverado alternator swap

hello i recently got a HO alternator from a friend that came off a wrecked S10 it had a single wire pig tail that is the same style as the one on my 2001 silverado it bolted right in with minor modifications when i started my truck it only read that it was charging at 12 volts. I was informed that the s10 and has a internal voltage charging regulator and the silverado has a external regulator which may be the cause of why the HO of the s10 is not triggering a charge has anyone ever done a conversion like this or know of a bypass to trigger the internal regulator?

Legend

the silverado has an internal regulator/diode assy. what is the cause of this problem would be the small wires connector at the rear of the alternator that interfaces with the pcm of your vehicle.

the silverado comes with the 105 or 13OAMP ALTERNATORS. both are interchangable.

thanks for the reply I understand the concept if i were to install a dual alternator set up and run the HO output on a separate system would the PCM still conflict with the alternators output?

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the silverado has an internal regulator/diode assy. what is the cause of this problem would be the small wires connector at the rear of the alternator that interfaces with the pcm of your vehicle.

the silverado comes with the 105 or 13OAMP ALTERNATORS. both are interchangable.

Legend

installing another alternator would be alot of work. having an altrnator that does not require any external control input and having the 12 volt output go to a audio power amp only or some other device would work. just keep them separate . make sure the ground is at the same place. use a separate battery for this 2nd alternator.

on my boat I removed the troublesome 12 volt generating system[no alternator] and installed this type alternator.