GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default 98 Burb-squeak increases with road speed-only 3 minutes after start up

Help-for the last 5 months I noticed a faint kinda squeaky noise -
    ONLY when the vehicle is MOVING-increases in frequency as speed increases
    It last 2-3 minutes-then goes away.
    Seems to be coming from "under the vehicle"
    My brother-slightly better hearing-says seems to be coming from the rear.

My BIGGEST concern- would any wheel bearing-any bearing-or U-joint-act like this when it was failing or running low on grease?
    Any chance this is just brakes? Do the rear shoes(no idea how long since changed) have some sort of squeak indicator like pads? Or could any of the brakes be slightly dragging?
    The noise isn't exactly a squeak-NOT THAT HIGH pitched-

1998 2wd Suburban 1500 221,000 miles- I've owned it the last 5.5 years-bought at 195,000 miles($2950-best $2950 anything I'll ever buy-reat truck)

Help-any ideas-?
    Oh how long do wheels bearings last anyway-and how tough to DIY- need special tools-Auto Zone borrows maybe? I ask because in 8 months-3500 mile trip.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

So many possibilities for a "squeak" that comes from "under the vehicle." Yes bearings are one possibility, and brakes are another. I would also consider the possibility of u joints or who knows what. It's good that you've tried to identify where it is coming from, just recognize that this is often difficult when hanging your head out the window.

I would probably start by jacking up each wheel one at a time and turning it by hand to see if you can locate which wheel or wheels the squeak is coming from. It's not much more work, so I'd probably pull each wheel off, too, and check the brakes.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

My first suspicion would be U-joints, they normally squeek before going, you can check them for looseness by sliding under the truck and rotating the driveshaft, it should only rotate a little but if you watch the bearing cups and see movement between the cups and the shaft ears you'll know they need replacing. This isnt a 100% check though as I have had dry bearings that werent sloppy yet.
    With the price of U-joints if your not sure on them it's best to change.
    You could also get squeeking between the rear brake backing plate and drum if theres any debris, you'll have to take the tire and brake drum off to inspect for this.
    Since you dont know the condition or age of the brakes it might not be a bad time to break them down and clean things up some.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Mr Shorty tbplus10
    Thanks for the info.
    Looks like I'll be spending some time under the truck.
    It is finally cooler here-good thing- better find some time before it get coldish and wet-as it occasionally does even in New Orleans suburb.If I run to form- I won't find the energy to track it down-until it has all but failed-and I have to do it in the cold and wet-Murphys Law.

One question-will U-joints(tiny little needle bearing in them?) quit making noise after a couple of minutes- while they are just beginning to fail?
    Maybe grease heats up flows to where it needs to be-so it tricks you into thinking all is well?

I just a bit puzzled that a bearing U-Joint or whatever would quick squeaking once it was warm-can that happen early in failure?

And yes I suspect my brake shoes are ancient-replaced front pads 3 years ago-had truck 5.5 years-never given rear shoes any thought(because I know they are MUCH harder to replace than pads-which usually have freakin springs that are a PITA)
    Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I've had U-joints that sqeek for the first few miles and then go quiet, I had one set that for a little over a year they sounded like a bird chirping about 3 times then would be quiet the rest of the day, until they failed one morning 20 feet out of the driveway.
    The last set on my Tacoma would only sqeek when I let off the gas and slowed down, no other clunks or sqeeks, I got curious after a couple weeks and checked to find out they were real worn and probably wouldnt have lasted much longer.

Legend

tbplus10
    Hmmm-so they fail like that?
    Guess thursday(off) I'll be under the truck-
    Hope it warms up
    Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA