GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by blacksilverado07 View Post
    i lost by two truck lengths but this was like a month ago i raced him again like 4 days ago and he beet me again but i was right next to him at the end im thinking about buying the 07 tahoe stock rims
    Hey! I'm looking to replace my 08 Tahoe stock rims with aftermarket. Let me know. Maybe we can do some wheeling and dealing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe.jpg  
    Last edited by Sooner; 04-05-2008 at 01:30 PM.
    2008 Chevy Tahoe
    2007 Nissan Titan CC
    1997 Chevy 1500 EC (just passed 200,000)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
    Hey! I'm looking to replace my 08 Tahoe stock rims with aftermarket. Let me know. Maybe we can do some wheeling and dealing.
    i wanna keep mine though but if u would sell them tell me a price

2007 silverado classic 1500 2 door
    flowmaster exhaust system, K&N air intake system
    two 10" kicker L7's with a 2000 watt empire amp

Default Tailgate up or down

The guys who are telling you to keep it up are right!! It does create a vortex similar to a twister which eliminates the drag. Check out the MYTHBUSTERS on the DISC Ch!!

Default up or down

myth busters did a test both ways . tail gate up won. creating a vortec thing was right.

let it down. there's less wind resistance with it down so i would assume it wouldn't hold the truck back as much. but that just rounds off a small part of the brick
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A. REDNECK View Post
    myth busters did a test both ways . tail gate up won. creating a vortec thing was right.
    They re-tested it because of veiwer complaints and it turned out that tailgate down was more efficient.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    They re-tested it because of veiwer complaints and it turned out that tailgate down was more efficient.
    I must've missed that episode. When did you see that? I found that they revisited the tailgate down theory (http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/12/e..._revisite.html) but only because the viewers suggested they test one with a hard bed cover, a mesh tailgate and one with the tailgate removed altogether. The tailgate up was proven again more efficient then tailgate down. Either way, you can't dispute wind tunnel testing (see http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/highlights...uplands_e.html) and the test proved there was more drag with the tailgate down.
    Last edited by Sooner; 09-22-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    2008 Chevy Tahoe
    2007 Nissan Titan CC
    1997 Chevy 1500 EC (just passed 200,000)

Jr. Engineer
    Beavercreek,OH (currently stationed in Jacksonville,NC)
    Blog Entries

when u have the tailgate down, the air that comes over the cab pushes down the bed of the truck causing you to lose MPG...but with the tailgate up like said before it causes some vortex or wind tunnel in the bed of your truck and actually pushes your truck.
    Justin - Beavercreek,OH

02 Z71 Ext. Cab (fully Loaded)
    * 9" Total Lift (RoughCountry)
    * 35' BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s w/ 16" Chrome Pro Comp wheels
    * Hypertech Maxx Energy Programmer
    * K&N Intake
    * BlackOut Tails

I don't know if lowering the tailgate will help, but removing any excess weight will help. Do you know if the other truck is completley stock?

Steve - South Carolina
    08 Sierra 5.3L
    K&N CAI, Superchips programmer, 30% tint, Lund step bars, Color matched Line-X bed liner, Garmin GPS, Billet Grill, Magnaflow muffler w/GM tip, Kenwood in dash DVD, Back-up camera, Polk audio door speakers

Has anyone actually tried it both ways with the tailgate up and the tailgate down. DRiving my normal style and got just a hair less on MPG with my 07 Z71. I normally get about 13.5 with the tailgate up and I got about 13.2 with the tailgate down.

Regardless, If you're losing by two truck lengths you're going to need to do something more significant than lowering you're tailgate or taking the tailgate off.

Besides, are you sure his truck is stock or "stock"? Has he had different gears or maybe even a hypertech programmer without you knowing? There's too many variables to pinpoint why you're getting beat...and no its not the tailgate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234