GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default New 2011 Silverado in March....About ready to off-load it

Hey everyone. I just recently joined the forum, but have always read through numerous posts and appreciate everyone that is willing to help out.

In March of this year I purchased a brand new 2011 Silverado 1500 ext cab with the 5.3l. It has the flex fuel option as well as active fuel management. The looks of the truck are fantastic and I really enjoy the styling. Up until recently I've enjoyed my new truck, but this AFM system makes me want to get rid of it.

I used to own a 2005 silverado with the 5.3l and it ran fantastic. Plenty of power and decent gas mileage. With this new truck I'm seeing poor gas mileage ~15mpg with the AFM system. The system is very annoying and its not "seemless" by any means. Around town it's absolutely horrible. Trying to climb hills or even red light to red light it wants to jump to this AFM V4 mode. It has no power and it seems like this truck (6 speed AUTO) is constantly searching for the right gear.

I've been a diehard GM fan since day one, but this truck is making me think otherwise. I know you can purchase tuners to remove the AFM but that voids the warranty. I've called the dealer and they claim AFM can't be turned off.

Spending $30k plus for a vehicle that runs like this is just ridiculous. I'm at a loss here and just dont know what to say...

Jr. Apprentice

Have you had a dealer look at it? We have a 2008 TrailBlazer with the LH6 (5.3l AFM) and haven't had any issues. I really can't tell when it switches modes.
    2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4x4, 3.5-L

I have the exact same model and year as you and yes the AFM is very very annoying. All i do when i round a corner and i can feel or hear that its in V4 ismode i just punch it a little and it comes out. It bugs me but theres nothin we can do about it. All the berry pickers get mad about burning gas thats all it s

2011 Silverado (Ellie)
    Extended cab

Upgrades:
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust
    Leveling Kit
    Warn Bull Guard
    Blackedout Bowties
    BF Goodrich All Terrains

Quote Originally Posted by geoturtle View Post
    Have you had a dealer look at it? We have a 2008 TrailBlazer with the LH6 (5.3l AFM) and haven't had any issues. I really can't tell when it switches modes.

I've considered that but the problem is if there isn't a service light I doubt they'll do anything. It's extremely annoying. Guess I could make an appointment though.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike2011 View Post
    I have the exact same model and year as you and yes the AFM is very very annoying. All i do when i round a corner and i can feel or hear that its in V4 ismode i just punch it a little and it comes out. It bugs me but theres nothin we can do about it. All the berry pickers get mad about burning gas thats all it s
    I agree. But they claim it should be seemless. One thing i've noticed is when I first pull out in the morning. If I go real slow there is some clicking going on in the gas pedal. It's faint but its almost as if something is being reset. Do you have this issue? Also, sometimes it gets stuck in V4 and I really have to goose the pedal to get it back to v8.

You can remove the AFM with a Diablo Triniy or Preditor, just make sure you go back to stock settings before you go in for warranty work and leave the Diablo home ( we had customers leave there Diablos on the front seat when having warranty work done, dumb as***).
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I have bought my first ever new GM product a 2011 GMC Sierra with same setup 5.3 with AFM I am coming from a long line of Fords and Dodge trucks last was a 2006 F150 FX4 with 5.4l with 12-13 mpg so the 15.2 avg (in town) is some what better and don't have any issues with drives in town no hesitation truck has maybe better acceleration than last Ford. I'am running a Volant CAI and do notice a downshift sound when cruising sometimes .
    John, Florida
    2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 L
    Reg. cab Z71 4x4
    Volant CAI
    Access Lorado Tonneau Cover
    Wet Okola Seat Covers
    Infinity Kappa speakers F&R
    GM Bug Shield
    GM Carpeted Floor Mats

Quote Originally Posted by 94blackcamaroz28 View Post
    Hey everyone. I just recently joined the forum, but have always read through numerous posts and appreciate everyone that is willing to help out.

In March of this year I purchased a brand new 2011 Silverado 1500 ext cab with the 5.3l. It has the flex fuel option as well as active fuel management. The looks of the truck are fantastic and I really enjoy the styling. Up until recently I've enjoyed my new truck, but this AFM system makes me want to get rid of it.

Spending $30k plus for a vehicle that runs like this is just ridiculous. I'm at a loss here and just dont know what to say...
    I would also recommend that you contact your local dealership for a diagnosis. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Hello everyone, Newbe here. If just got a 2011 Silverado Ext 4X4 Z71 with the 18" wheels on July 4. And I really it like. I only have 1500 miles so far and the AFM system works great. In fact everything works great so far....Pulls my 6,000 camper with ease. Had it up on the Beach at Delaware National Seashore State Park (Surf Fishing ) and truck did just fine in the sand, but my old 2002 Silverado also did good on the beach too. The one thing I don't miss that my old truck had was listening to piston slap every morning for nine years.
    Dave

Sr. Apprentice

AFM SUCKS!!! I got a hypertech programmer thinking i would be able to disable it. Nope it didnt support my engine or something stupid. Its ridiculous. I had a 2000 5.3 and ran a y pipe and aem intake..got 17 mpg with it. Get a 08 and now i get 11-13..lol thats after my lift..prior i was making 16 around town. Im looking into blackbearperformance.com they claim to be able to disable the afm and I had trouble after you change tire size with a hypertech (or alot of other programmers) your abs light comes on after you drive a couple miles. So just keep an eye out and watch what programmer you use. Double check and Id even call them and double check with a live person that it will do what you want. Good Luck
    2008 Chevy Silverado Z71
    -Y pipe Dual Exhaust 4 inch tips
    -7.5 inch Rough Country Lift
    -3 Inch Body Lift
    -2 inch Add-A-Leaf
    -35x12.5r18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -Moto Metal 951 Rims
    -S&B Cold Air Intake
    -Airaid Throttle Body Spacere
    -EFI Live
    -LED Taillights
    -LED Interior Lights
    -Recon Big Rig Light Bars
    -HID 6000k Fog lights
    -5% Tint
    -Billet Grille

BigMike, I have the exact same problem with the gas pedal clicking. Did you ever take it to the dealership? I called the dealership yesterday, well actually called 2 of them to get warranty work and no one has returned my calls. Fancy that.

I'm hoping they replace the gas pedal or do something. My wife and I just purchased a 2007 tahoe with AFM and the V8 to V4 transition is absolutely seemless. I agree with you that sometimes I have to goose the pedal in my silverado just to get the damn thing to transition back to v8 mode.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Disabling the AFM will void the warranty. Trust me if GM would disable the AFM I would gladly wait in line.

The thing that worries me is taking it to the dealership. I'm sure without a SES light they will just ignore it. Dealerships have done it in the past....part of the reason I hate going. I can't imagine the gas pedal clicking normal. Our tahoe doesnt do it at all. It is seemless.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast