GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I need to ask a request...

Everyone that owns a Silverado, specifically a 2004, would you check to see if your check engine light comes on and then goes off after a second or two. Do this without starting the engine and try it a few times. The check engine light is supposed to turn on and then off with the rest of check lights after about two seconds or so. This is self test of all the sensors and electrical.
    The reason I ask is because sometimes my check engine light does not come on when I turn the key on. But when it does come on (engine not running) it will not turn off when all the other lights have turned off.
    I`m thinking I may have a PCM problem. But there are no codes in the PCM!
    Tell me what yours does, please. I`m certain it is supposed to turn on and then off after a couple of secs. every time when you turn the key to run position.

Henry
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4x4; Ext. Cab; 5.3L FI

60 views and not one of you can go turn the key on your truck.

I have a 2003 Escalade and when I turn my key forward (not running or starting) my engine light stays on either until I start it or turn the key back. If I start it, then turn it off, then return the key to the run position (not running) the engine light stays on. I believe this is what most of my chevy's in the past have done. Sorry its not a 2004 but Im one of your 60 views so I gave ya what I got.

ps sorry I havent tried the 2011 but figured it was irrelevant.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35" Nitto Dune Grappler Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by BowTieFan1 View Post
    Did it occur to you that many folks who viewed might not have a model year within the 99-06 range? Or perhaps some of the views were folks who have Tahoes or Sububans or the like (because, yes, people do read forums for vehicles other than that which they own; I know I check out a number, here, for vehicles I don't own).

I was going to do it when I next drove somewhere (tomorrow), but given the written tone of your words which I quoted, above, I'll pass because I don't want to condone/reward that behaviour.

Surreal

Mine comes on for a couple seconds, every time.

Everyone that owns a Silverado, specifically a 2004,
    You want specifically 04 Silverados... You're excluding every other silverado year, and every other model... How many responses do you think you'll really get?
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Did it occur to you that many folks who viewed might not have a model year within the 99-06 range? Or perhaps some of the views were folks who have Tahoes or Sububans or the like (because, yes, people do read forums for vehicles other than that which they own; I know I check out a number, here, for vehicles I don't own).

I was going to do it when I next drove somewhere (tomorrow), but given the written tone of your words which I quoted, above, I'll pass because I don't want to condone/reward that behaviour.

Surreal

Agreed with Surreal, also did you know that guest or people that are not even registered with GMTC still counts as a thread view!
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

I had an '03. Once I had been running the engine, The light would not come back on with the key in the "run" position with the engine off unless an undetermined period of time had elapsed.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)