GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default The Last 1987 Buick Grand National.. Remember these???

An EXgirl friend of mine had one.. I loved driving it.....

The Last 1987 Buick Grand National

By: PB Editor
    Friday, October 19, 2012

Documentary chronicles the end of GM G-body production.

The last Buick Grand National, built Dec. 11, 1987, will star in “BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary” produced by Andrew Filippone Jr.
    The documentary is set to be released Dec. 11, exactly 20 years after the last production Regal Grand National rolled off the assembly line.The final GN signaled the end of GM G-body (Cutlass, Regal, Monte Carlo) production.
    Owned by Buick-Chevrolet-GMC Truck dealer Bob Colvin in Springhill, La., the Regal Grand National is arguably the most documented of any GN or GNX vehicle, according to a press release.
    Bob Colvin and the last Buick '87 Grand National
    The 245-hp ’87 Grand National is monochromatic turbocharged and intercooled with rear-wheel drive. Known for being available “in any color, as long as it’s black,” it was built a few months into Buick’s 1988 model year.
    The vehicle came off the line with a plethora of mechanical parts signed by final-line workers, including a special time-and-date-stamped window sticker. An additional GM emblem was installed on its header panel to distinguish it as the last built.
    “We chose Bob Colvin’s GN for our movie poster and a starring role in ‘BLACK AIR’ because of its historical significance to Buick GN owners, as well as muscle car enthusiasts regardless of brand loyalty,” said Filippone.
    Interest in the GN in the 1980s sparked Buick to not limit production and build as many Grand Nationals as it could. While GN production in 1982, ’84, ’85 and ’86 averaged 2,500 units per year, the ’87 GN finished its run with 20,193 units—approximately eight times the average, the release stated.
    Additionally, Buick built 1,547 T-Type Regals with GN powertrains and 547 limited edition GNXs.
    Second-generation Buick dealer Colvin, his wife Charlotte and son Matt, followed the car down the final assembly line and documented every stage of the build process. The Regal Grand National is displayed in its own temperature-controlled room at Springhill Motor Co., surrounded by memorabilia from its build at the long-gone Pontiac plant. It has accumulated just 14 miles since rolling off the assembly line almost 20 years ago.
    For more information about “BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary,” please visithttp://gnmovie.com/.

08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

That's really odd, as I was searching Craigslist for these and Monte Carlo SS's, yesterday. (Are you spying on me?!) Around here it seems the old Monte Carlo SS's outnumber the Grand Nationals about 4:1. Sadly most have been turned into hoopties rolling on 24's with terrible paint jobs. I always loved that body style; those cars just looked mean...

Legend

You mean like this???? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	florida truck pics 041.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	45171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 049.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	45172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nopi 002 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	45173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nopi 001.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	45174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nopi 083 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	45175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nopi 040 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	45176These are from some of the old shows I used to go to SBN in Daytona and Nopi in Atl Ga. The old Fun days....

those pictures just make me cringe.....

i see those kinds of cars here in VB far more then id like. one caprice almost has more ground clearence then i do the rims are so big.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I test drove one new but I think it was 1988. Very powerful and fast. But the problem with selling it was it was a Buick, which has a public image of being a "grandma car". On the plus side, since not a whole lot were sold, if you get one in 4-5 original condition, just hang onto it and you will make money.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    You mean like this????
    Owwww, my eyes! Those are -painful- to look at because those cars were stupidly quick in their day and are even fairly fast in today's terms. (IIRC, the Buick Regal GNX did 0-60 in under 5 seconds.) The moment a new form massively detracts from a vehicle's functionality I tend to think that form is 'too far'.

I'd love to see one of those hoopties corner hard, lose bead on one or more of its stretched tires, and destroy its 24's -- it'd serve to underscore my point about 'too far' fairly readily. I can, however, see slamming the car to get more downforce -- as long as it's not lowered 'too far' soas to have a negative impact on handling. You get the idea.

Surreal

P.S. I apply this thinking to my own truck. I try to improve form without sacrificing functionality; in many cases I try to add functionality while preserving a stock or very subtle look (most of my interior mods are invisible). Alox is like this, too...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 10-29-2012 at 10:19 PM.

One picture would've been sufficient Enkie, man was that painful on the eyes.
    I tried to buy a GN when they were new but at the time I couldnt get anyone to finance me, probably worked out better off in the end I'm sure I would've gotten into trouble with it.
    A good friend of mine had 2 of them and managed to wreck both in a short amount of time.
    I see them for sale around here every once in a while but normally when you do see them their ragged out and ready for the wrecking yard and the owner still thinks he has a gold mine, definately outnumbered by the Monte Carlo SS.

Legend

Ok if you want to Cry now watch these.. I have been there many years ago for a tour and if you are into 12 Volts Richard is Very well known..

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/

The ones in this list I have sat in 5 of them and Loved it....

http://www.termpro.com/showcars/index.asp?Page=20

i saw a special on these on spike tv a couple years ago. The last year they made them they changed the name to the GNX and teamed up with Mclaren to produce a turbo charged V6. faster 0-60 time than a corvette from the same year was what they said on the program. They only produced a limited amount of them and the dash had a emblem with the production number on it.

I see those hoopties around here all the time. I love to find them on Craigslist. those fools think they are worth a lot because they do that dumb crap to them. Dude... you '77 Impala is still an $800.00 car even with the paint and the wheels... Probably less since the next owner is still going to have to put it all back!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)