GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Off-Road Disaster /:

Howdy! Im new to the forum and need some help. Im PBSTAG and I love off-roadin! Although, the other day it didnt love me so much.. Hows a whole a-arm gettin ripped off sound? Well, it happened and Im needing some help. I have a 95 K1500, 2in level kit, Dick Cepek DC 2 rims, and 33in Nitto Dune Grapplers.(not so good in mud but look BA) But any of the way. Im needin help on how to remove my torsion bar and key. I had the level put on professionaly and would get it re-done, but its kinda hard to get somewhere with 3 wheels. lol. Anybody done this themselves and tips on keeping all body parts? Ive heard it can be dangerous. Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg  

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Welcome to GM Truck Club!

I'm unable to help with your issue. If you don't get a response in the next day or so on this then I recommend posting your inquiry in the 'GM Tech Forums' section specific to your vehicle ... or in the 'General Tech Forums' section as appropriate to the type of issue you have. You'll reach a wider group of the forum members that way ... and target your inquiry more directly to those who might already have experience with it.

Welcome to the club, glad to have you
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. Nice truck man.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Sr. Engineer

Welcome to The Club.

Moved to tech forum.

(Where is the "This Thread is worthless without pics" emoticon. Just to satisfy that little part of me that gets perverse pleasure in other people's pain, I want to see just what it means when you "rip-off an a arm")

I wish I could help, but I haven't ever had to take my front end that far apart.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I'm just guessing it was the lower "A" arm that got ripped off.
    With the lower "A" arm out of the way it should have relieved the pressure from the torsion bar and you should be able to remove the key and then the torsion bar.
    But accident damages dont always disassemble things in a logical order so their could be something else keeping the pressure up or the torsion bar could be wedged in or bent, really a hard situation to diagnose without actually being there to assess things.

Ok sorry about the pics MrShorty, I havent really thought about snapping some pics of it but will get right on that!
    And tbplus10, yes sir thats the deal here! I have takin everything off and the only thing holdin me up is that daggum torsion bar. Ive seen a couple things on Youtube but it doesnt look safe at all! Id like to be safe at all times doing this, I gotta work! Im not really wanting to spend $200 on a puller Im only gonna use this once. So any redneck ways about doing this?

If it's still hung up after removing everything I'm not sure how you'll be able to get it out, this sounds like a situation where your gonna have to get inventive.
    Not sure if you plan on reusing the torsion bar but almost any "redneck" method I can think of doesnt include reinstalling this particular one.
    Is it possible to heat it with a torch and let it twist itself to relieve the pressure?

does autozone or a place like that rent the tool? I want to see pics also!! I took my 95 with 38.5 baja claws thru some crazy crap and beat the heck out of her. But, I never managed to rip off a control arm. Pics with explanation of the situation..PLEASE!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by