GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

gota love a generator!

i was really young back in 91, but i remember we had a big ice/snow storm go thru today actually. we didnt have power for most of two weeks. my dad had my grandpa buy a generator for him and he drove to get it. still use the thing in the winter when they need to.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Yes, generators are nice. I like that some people still prepare for the worst instead of expecting things to be magically taken care of by others. People who want the magical cure and did no prep should always come at the back of the line compared to those who prepped, IMHO.

That's very politically incorrect to say in this day and age of helping the most-needy first instead of helping those who helped themselves, first ... but it's how I feel. Why? Because the guy with the generator has probably been burning his fuel and using his generator to help others while helping himself, (especially true if the generator is being used to run a well pump and he's providing water to others!) yet society will lean on him to do more (when he's already doing more than most) by passing him over to take someone who did less than him.

I hate it ... and I don't often use the word hate. But it's reprehensible to me that our society has become so entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Yes, generators are nice. I like that some people still prepare for the worst instead of expecting things to be magically taken care of by others. People who want the magical cure and did no prep should always come at the back of the line compared to those who prepped, IMHO.

That's very politically incorrect to say in this day and age of helping the most-needy first instead of helping those who helped themselves, first ... but it's how I feel. Why? Because the guy with the generator has probably been burning his fuel and using his generator to help others while helping himself, (especially true if the generator is being used to run a well pump and he's providing water to others!) yet society will lean on him to do more (when he's already doing more than most) by passing him over to take someone who did less than him.

I hate it ... and I don't often use the word hate. But it's reprehensible to me that our society has become so entitled.
    quoted for truth!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I have been eyeing generators at about 20-40kw (I want to run heat or AC and you need a surge rate to handle when the compressor/etc turn on). Would not need one that high for simple light bulbs

But in the house I am in right now, its not worth spending $11,000-$18,000 for a generator like that.

When I build my new house, it will be designed with a generator in mind.

Hey well finally getting a chance to use real internet, not my phone, because I'm at my girlfriend's and she has power and all utilities. I will post more pics to my facebook account and on youtube and post the links here. This morning I changed the oil in the generator because it has been running over 30 hours. Now I'm running synthetic in it.

pictures: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9546527&type=1
    Last edited by Conlan Rose; 10-31-2012 at 02:15 PM.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I have been eyeing generators at about 20-40kw (I want to run heat or AC and you need a surge rate to handle when the compressor/etc turn on). Would not need one that high for simple light bulbs

But in the house I am in right now, its not worth spending $11,000-$18,000 for a generator like that.

When I build my new house, it will be designed with a generator in mind.
    You likely sized it that way for heating and cooling reasons, but you don't need 20-40kw as you don't live somewhere where the climate swings enough to either extreme to be dangerous. Thus, if the power is out you don't need AC and with a fireplace, electric blankets, and the like you don't need heating. We just went through this exercise at the lake house and sized a 17kw unit for it. (The install was finalized about a week ago, in fact.) It handles everything in the house except AC and heat, for which there's fans and windows in the summer and a gas log firepalce and wood stove for heat. That 17kw also runs a well pump with large amperage draw -- which your home in the city won't have. It draws from a 500 gallon underground propane tank and it self-tests weekly and needs maintenance annually based on its hourly use.

Cost? 6k for the unit plus we built the forms and set the concrete pad, ourselves. (That would have been another 1k to have done, but we did it in a day as it's a no-brainer.) Another 500 clams to hook up the propane tank and another 750 for the electrical work. So 7250 out the door... granted the underground tank and propane fill was already in place, but still, that's the cheap piece.

I don't know where you're coming up with 20-40kw or why you think it costs insane money. It doesn't and you don't need all that power. Even if you had it you wouldn't want to run the AC or heat as it'd burn you out of fuel quickly. Emergencies should be treated as just that -- emergencies. Conservation principles should apply...

@SurrealOne and @nakranij your getting off topic by a lot. This thread is for talking about the storm damage of my town and seeing how every one faired and pics they have. Not what generator they have. But I will get off topic to say my small vermont house has a 7kw generator installed for running well water, basic lights and heat for it the power goes out during the winter. That was all we needed because we have a smaller well and the heat is only either a pellet stove or oil and kerosene burners and their blowers. All lights are low wattage and we have no high demand electronics.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

@Conlan Rose: I don't mind keeping it to what you ask ... but to do so you must actually ask or state your parameters, as I can't read minds. (You see, I actually checked the initial post to see if there were any posting requirements/parameters and saw none.)

Also, post-event preparedness discussion among those of us in states that did get hit (albeit not hard; Nak and I are in NC) is off-topic? Given that the storm track was indicating possible NC landfall at one point and that we saw gusts as high as 45mph in Raleigh (at some ~400 miles from the storm as it sat some ~200 miles off our coast) I tend to think generator and preparedness discussion is actually on topic given that we're a heavily treed state and that flying tree limbs tend to knock down power lines. Given that we had coastal storm damage and some power loss in our state attributed to the storm I also tend to think it's on topic.

Please be clearer on what constitutes an on-topic post in future threads that you wish to limit to some particular focus or subset. If your wind gust requirement to qualify as impacted by the storm was 70 miles per hour and I'd known it I'd have refrained from posting in this thead. If methods used to counter power loss in impacted states are not considered relevant to this thread unless activated it'd also have been useful to know.

Others discussing generators in impacted states without being chastised suggested such items were absolutely on point. I might need to PM you about the pellet stove, as I've been curious about them for a while...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 11-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.

@SurrealOne I understand why it made since and I'm happy you guys are safe. And technically your explanation is totally on topic In later posts like this I will do a better job explaining what the purpose is of the thread.

Btw I'm happy to announce my local electricity provider said they should have 95% of customers back online by Monday night. Bless the lord I at least have hot water because of my older hot water heater.

Um one of my candle holders exploded and I'm not sure why.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast