GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What kind of must have do you carry in your rig?

After driving around in a C20 Chevy pickup since 1974, I have learned which tools I absolutely have to carry on any given outing. One year I shocked the hell out of my hunting buddy when, after running the radio while setting up camp, I decided it was time to run the truck before the battery went dead. Too late. He dropped his jaw at the prospect of having to walk out of the sticks. I simply slid a new battery I stowed just in case- just when I thought his jaw could not drop any lower...

I like to carry: spare fuses, flashlights, flares/reflectors, hi-lift jack, 4-way lug wrench, h2o, oil, ATC fluid, fuel filter, knife, select tools, a spare, belt type emergency kit (space blanket compass, firestarter, paracord, fishing gear, bandaid, guaze, suture kit, pain meds), rope. More if I am really going into the sticks.

Whadda you take?

Ed

Blog Entries

I thought by having a newer truck, I was less likely to need tools and such but my over-prepared, packrat side get's the better of me. Right now I have a set of tire chains, 30,000lb rated tow strap, jumper cables, bungee cargo net, flashlights, Gearwrench set, magnetic screwdriver, Snap-on bit set, Leathermans plier tool, other misc handtools, gloves, shovel, Hi-lift jack, first-aid kit, handy-wipes, and the tool that get's used the most- a Swiffer duster for dusting the dash!
    Last edited by dwill3015; 01-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I don't carry any tools in mine yet, but mines just a part-time grocery getter right now.

I have a follow up question for you guys, in the engine bay of the burb, there is a storage box where the second battery would go on the diesels. What do you guys put in there?
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T
    2005 VW Passat 1.8T - soon to be gone but not forgotten
    1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 5.7L - What have I gotten myself into?!?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skarch View Post
    I don't carry any tools in mine yet, but mines just a part-time grocery getter right now.

I have a follow up question for you guys, in the engine bay of the burb, there is a storage box where the second battery would go on the diesels. What do you guys put in there?
    Mine is a diesel so the spot has a battery in it. That would make a handy storage area though. I will have to look at my Wife's 2001 Burban to see if the aux. battery spot is there.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I usually have an old poncho liner from the military , coveralls , gloves, cap, flashlight, extra pack of smokes, a small kit made up of ,ductape, basic tools. knife and matches.
    "You can take the boy out of a Chevy but you can never take the Chevy out of a boy"-
    LARRY

Current Project-2007 Chevy Colorado
    Past Project-1963 Chevy Truck Custom (454)
    Wish List-1969 Chevy Truck

I usually take my 200 piece mechanics set it fits nicely under the seat, hi end jack , duct tape for the kids , i do a full check over before i leave on a major trip -belts wires anything that looks worn is replaced. gloves extra oil , tranny fluid , air compressor for the tires, tire repair kit . xtra head light bulbs, tail light bulbs and a couple blankets and extra munchies and water , ball pean hammer and two big crow bars to yank off the deer thats stuck in your grill.
    Last edited by TahoeFever; 01-18-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeFever View Post
    I usually take my 200 piece mechanics set it fits nicely under the seat, hi end jack , duct tape for the kids , i do a full check over before i leave on a major trip -belts wires anything that looks worn is replaced. gloves extra oil , tanny fluid , air compressor for the tires, tire repair kit . xtra head light bulbs, tail light bulbs and a couple blankets and extra munchies and water , ball pean hammer and two big crow bars to yank off the deer thats stuck in your grill.
    sounds like you are would deff. be well prepared for ANYTHING
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

yup

something i always found in the past things that your not prepared for always happen.
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

I have a huge come along that was originally used to pull out tractors in there which had come in handy several times offroad. A Snatch-em strap for pulling people out of ditches, tool kit with wrenches and sockets and stuff, various fluids and coolants, extra coats/sweatshirts, and some fireworks.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

once i get my license and have my truck on the road i will probably have enough to extinguish a minor blaze and handle car accidents and the basic tools and stuff to fix typical problems
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI