GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 chevy 2500 350 motor rebuild problem.

Me and my dad just rebuilt my 350 motor I bought the rebuild kit that comes with everything except pistons and rods. We had a local well know shop do all the machine work to the crank and block, they also cleaned everything in the (Hot Bath) I think it's called. After we put everything back together while its still on the motor stand we decided to hook the starter up and crank it to make sure it would crank correctly because it seemed to be hard to turn the motor from the flywheel. We are trying to use jumper cables from a running truck to run the starter and it turns over very slow(not enough to start if it was in the truck) and it draws down the lights on the running truck. We are thinking maybe there is excessive compression due to the rings not being seated or the jumper cables are just not giving us the power we need. I just need to get some opinions because I would hate to install the motor and have to pull it back out and tear it back down. Any input would be appreciated Thanks.

First, Do you have the spark plugs in or out. Out will allow it to turn over easier but if you did everything right on the rebuild I would start by checking the timing. Bring number 1 cyl up to top dead center and check the rotor location, it should be pointing at the number terminal on the cap. Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by brockrg View Post
    First, Do you have the spark plugs in or out. Out will allow it to turn over easier but if you did everything right on the rebuild I would start by checking the timing. Bring number 1 cyl up to top dead center and check the rotor location, it should be pointing at the number terminal on the cap. Let me know

Thanks for responding but we got it all figured out. Somehow we must have had the motor turned wrong when we laid out the cylinder numbers and accidentally installed the pistons reversed(piston 8 where 1 should have went etc...) we switched them around the way they should go and it fired right up once we got it in the truck. I have another problem though when it rains just a little outside overnight and I start the truck in the morning for the first 10 to 20 miles it backfires and misses real bad but doesnt set a code. I checked to see if water was getting on anything on the motor but it all looks dry, I think this is going to be a problem where the only way to find a answer is to find someone else that had the problem and figured it out. thanks for the help.