GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4X4 troubles :'( -01 Suburban-

I can engage my 4x4 both high and low with no problem its when i turn that the problem becomes noticeable. when i turn you feel a grinding and a popping or shuttering and it just feels like death. Im trying to do all I can by myself so any help would be nice. Thank you -Fisk

are you on dry pavement when you are in 4x4?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yes, I havnt had the time to test it in some mud/sand yet. Do think that really makes a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by I-Am-Fisk View Post
    Yes, I havnt had the time to test it in some mud/sand yet. Do think that really makes a difference?
    YES!! read your owners manual. If you don't have one, do some research before you break something. You will destroy your front gears if you drive on dry pavement in 4x4 too often. Every 4x4 does what you are saying if you drive them on dry pavement with the front axle engaged, some worse than others. Just drive down a dirt road and test it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 11-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.

So then what will happen when I need it in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    are you on dry pavement when you are in 4x4?
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Am-Fisk View Post
    I said DRY pavement. You can not use it on dry pavement. All The tires move at a different speed then each other in 4x4, so you need a surface that lets the tires slip a little so there is no binding.

What you need to understand is that, in 4H and 4L, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together at the transfer case so that they have to spin at the same speed. As noted, when you turn, the front end goes through a longer arc and needs to spin faster. Because it is locked at the transfer case, it can't, and you get that binding, scuffing, popping, hopping, etc. As noted, this can cause something to break. (It seems like howstuffworks used to have an animation that shows how this works).

It won't be near as noticeable on snow, because the tires will be able to slip against the road surface easily. If you hang your head out of the window in a tight turn on snow, you will be able to see the front wheels slipping/scuffing, but you won't feel it near as much on snow because the tires can slip easily.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Cool thanks guys that takes a huge load off thank you

Legend
    Blog Entries

My 98 Burb has 4H, 4L and AUTO 4 wheel drive which is basically all wheel drive. If you are running AUTO 4 wheel drive, dry patches in the pavement won't add up to long term damage.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford