GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Snow Tire Recommendations

Looking for some recommendations on snow tires, I've got an 07 GMC 1500 rwd so let me know what you guys have used with success and what else you've done to the truck to help get around in the snow. Thanks in advance.
    * My post are intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken serious unless I'm posting in the Buy/Sell section of this board and all opinions are that of mine ONLY.

I love BF Goodrich All Terrains.. Really aggressive looking tread, and I've always had awesome traction with them.

As far as what I do to get around in the snow? I put it in 4x4 drive... But if that's not an option for you, put some weight in the back. When I had my 2wd in the snow because my 4x4 was in the shop, I used to put some weight in the back over the rear axle. If you're handy, you can build a "brace" to keep it where you want to, with some wood.

- - - Updated - - -

There was another time it was snowed when it wasn't supposed to, and turned out to be a blizzard... The guy who was plowing our work lot was using a backhoe. He was a friend of mine so I asked him to load some snow in the back... He put two buckets full, and my truck went through the snow like a champ.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

I got a friend of mine that has some fierce attitudes on his 04-06 pickup and he went through all the snow that he could find the other day and didnt get stuck and he only had it in 2wd. also he has 17s if that makes a difference
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

My 02 Silverado was 2wd and I just ran Michelin LTX M/S on it. I never had an issue, never got stuck or had any issues going where I wanted. (I frequently travel unplowed, unmaintained dirt roads, with some really steep hills). If we had around 10 inches of fresh snow I would throw 4 or 5 of these over the rear axle. http://www.menards.com/main/building.../p-1408372.htm
    They are nice because it is a thick plastic that does not tear easily and they do not slide around. If you need added traction you can cut the bag and throw the sand under your tires. There are other brands out there. But, this was the cheapest for the amount of weight. When I put them in the truck I had no issues, even with Michelin "road" tires. I see no need to purchase separate snow tires unless you live somewhere where you are getting 10 inches of fresh snow daily.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I will be getting Michelin LTX Winter tires put on next week and will report back once I've driven those for a while.

I'll be taking my Michelin LTX AT tires off the 'burb until spring. They aren't especially heavily siped, and while a great tire for summer use they slide on ice.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

i run nothing but wrangler duratracs on my 08 and i got michelin LTX on my 2001 2500hd plow truck. i got 4 5 gallon buckets filled with sand in the pan of my truck and drives perfect in 2wd plus i got sand for when i need it.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

i had really good luck with firestone destination A/Ts. had those on my first truck and drove thru some pretty thick stuff with em without any problems.

just my .01 worth.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I just put the firestone Winterforce on,went out today and drove on the icy/packed snow and they did well for being so cheap.

None of the tires other posters have recommended are snow tires.

To be sure, these tires -- Michelin LTX A/T, Firestone Destination A/T, B F Goodrich A/T, Michelin LTX M/S -- are all great tires and they all do OK in snow, especially deep snow. But they're not snow tires. They're all-season tires.

Snow tires (or winter tires, as the manufacturers now like to call them), have softer tread compound and more sipes than any of these. Blizzak, LTX Winter, Firestone Winterforce, General Altimax Arctic -- those are snow tires.

Bringing this thread back from the dead but this time I'm looking for summer tires since I have winter tires, no off road and it's for a regular 07 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.8L that I use to drive around town and on the highway and occasional pulling a U-Haul car trailer with a 2800 lbs car loaded on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by