GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Satellite radio antenna question

I recently installed an aftermarket stereo head unit that is satellite radio capable. While I currently do not have a subscription, I am thinking of getting one. My question is, will I need a new antenna or will my OE antenna be able to receive the sat signal?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

You will need a different antenna. Likely, you'll also need a separate module. Typically, 'capable' or 'ready' advertised head units have the ability to switch to an XM/Sirius source, but require an external module to enable that source. Check the manual for your new stereo.

Which radio did you get? I ask because I just purchased a new head unit and was told by the installer that I didn't need a new module as @dobey stated. I was told I may need an adapter to be able to hook it up. I believe that @SurrealOne also used an adapter for his HU. Not all HU may be this easy though.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I can't speak for XM radios, as I have SIRIUS. To connect my SIRIUS SCC1 to the OEM XM antenna on my 2004 GMC Sierra, I used a GM XM to SIRIUS adapter sold by TSS-Radio.com. Here's a link to the part: http://www.tss-radio.com/products/gm...a-adapter-plug

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    My question is, will I need a new antenna or will my OE antenna be able to receive the sat signal?
    Yes. New Antenna. Not sure about difficulty on self install. I would check with Manufacturer of your unit for a recommended Antenna and go from there. At least it will get you pointed in the right direction.
    '13 Silverado 2500 | Crew Cab 2WD W/T | Vortec 6.0 | Diablew Tune |
    (Various Chrome items & Bestop Tonneau...)

This is the exact unit I have:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hgMfD7T...-JHD1620B.html

Looks like I'll need an adapter. It's wierd though because the head unit has a sat signal indicator (bars, just like on a cell phone) but how does the know strong the signal is without an antenna?

In keeping things simple for here - The only diff between conventional radio and Satellite is the location of the transmitter. There's a lot more to it of course but that's it in a nutshell.

A Satellite antenna is designed to receive signals much less amplified than a conventional radio wave antenna and decrypt the encrypted Sirrius/XM signals. Your adapter will provide this function.

Looks like a nice unit too. I like the NOAA setup it has.

Quote Originally Posted by awtposts View Post
    Looks like a nice unit too. I like the NOAA setup it has.
    The weather band was probably the biggest reason I bought the unit. I didn't need anything super fancy, just something that was a little better than stock and had an audio-in jack. I work in emergency management so it's nice to know what the weather is up to.

First unit I've seen with weather / emergency capability. My cousin is a retired Fire Chief so I'll tell him about this as he would like this living in florida.