GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spectre dropin air filter?

Does anyone have an opinion about the spectre drop in air filters? I can get one basically free. But, I always see mare air flow= bigger particles getting thru. Any opinions on these would be appreciated. I ran a k&n drop in on my 02 and never had any issues.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Those filters from spectra are only meant to last the same as two or three changes of a reg filter and the cleaning kit is hard to find. The K&N drop in comes with a million mile warranty and the kits are easy to find.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Those filters from spectra are only meant to last the same as two or three changes of a reg filter and the cleaning kit is hard to find. The K&N drop in comes with a million mile warranty and the kits are easy to find.
    It has a lifetime warranty and I have about 4 of the K&n kits laying around so I will just use those

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I did not know it had a lifetime warranty. I was reading reviews for it a while back and people said it was junk and didn't last as long as they had though even with proper cleaning. I don't know maybe the people were doing something wrong. Personally I'm getting a K&N drop in because it has great reviews and even though its more expensive it comes with a great warranty.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

couldn't you just use the k&n recharge kit with the spectre air filter? out of curiosity...

that is what I planned on doing. The spectre kit is supposed to be designed so you don't over oil the filter. I never had an issue over oiling my k&n filters so I am not concerned.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

i was wondering cause i bought the spectre cold air intake for my 03 silverado. it's getting dirty and i need to clean it soon. but i had an old k&n recharge kit in the shop so i was thinking of doing the same. lol

I have had a spectre drop-in for 2 years and haven't had any problems. I just checked it last week and it wasn't very dirty for having around 20k miles through it. I only paid like $20 for it too so it was less than half the price of the K&N.
    2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3l, has a modified airbox with drop-in filter.
    Mods to come:
    Exhaust
    Tune
    Suspension
    More power!

I had it in for 2 weeks. My MPG dropped from 19 on the freeway to 16-17. I took it out and put the old AC delco filter back in and it went back to 19+ almost instantly. No need to say that I have returned the filter.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)