GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default LED lit instrument cluster!

Threw in some blue leds from superbrightleds.com. I love it! Lemme know what yall think...

BEFORE
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0274.jpg 
Views:	3238 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	22473
    AFTER
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg 
Views:	3728 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	22472

Look Nice! Was It Difficult To Do?

2005 RCSB 'Black Sinister' Silverado

Oh man that looks so so good!! Yeah was it hard to do?

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

It wasnt hard at all actually. One of the more simple things i have done lately. You just pop off your dash trim, take out the 4-7mm screws in the cluster, pull it out, unplug it, then pop off the back with your hands, and youll see the 6- type 194 bulbs (twist lock bases). simply pull out the old bulbs(or in my case i just bought 6 new bases for ~99 cents a piece to avoid the hassle) with 1/2 a turn and put the LEDs in the base securely, then twist the base with the bulb back in and you got yourself a nice lit cluster with whatever color choice you choose. but before putting it back in, just make sure to hook the plug up to the cluster and check that all the bulbs polarities are correct, if not those bulbs will not light up (obviously) and all you do is untwist the base for that bulb, rotate it 180 degrees and put it back in. then just reassemble!
    Took me all of 10 minutes. And it was worth every second

Looks good! I did this too, along with all my other dash lights. It's easy on the 99-02's, but 03+ all use a lot of small soldered-in bulbs.

Here is my write-up and discussion.

Two questions for you though:
    1) What is over the center of your speedometer?
    2) What is the green light below the gauges for?

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

That looks so sick dude, great job. I was gonna do this on my truck 'til I found out that the 03 and up clusters have the bulbs soldered in place instead of being twist-lock
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

hey pmf608 credit to you! I actually read your thread and it was my guide. Might I add GREAT write up!

1) The cover is a senior frogs sticker my older brother put on years ago, with these new lights im actually probably gonna take it off idk, undecided still, but its never bothered me.
    2) The green light is my quick alert and mute for my passport radar detector

i want to also add LEDs to my ac control unit and my headlight switch and that good stuff but i heard that those are actually soldered in and you would have to take them out and resolder an LED with a resistor.(is this correct?) I have no doubt i could do it but i dont think i could find the time to sit down and do that with my current schedule

very cool. My wife is going to be angry with you, because now this is on my short list of things to do.
    2001 Yukon XL 2500
    8.1 Liter (badged on rear) w/K&N filter
    20" wheels with 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Alpine deck (w/ipod), Polk speakers, Kicker 700.5 amp, Rockford P3 12" sub, and video screen
    LED tail lights
    Predator tuner
    new carpet and seat covers

That looks awesome! I wonder if it is that easy with the NBS (07-11) trucks...

Legend

Blog Entries

That looks awesome...X2 on if it that easy with the NBS.

Nice job and thanks for posting the pics!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by