GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Replacing a cracked dashboard

As summer has hit us full swing, I think back to what I was doing this time last summer.

My dashboard had cracked severely, and it was getting on my nerves. So I got a wild hair
    up my butt one Saturday morning and made a drive out to a junk yard that had several
    trucks with dashboards in decent condition (at least they weren't cracked)

Took my about 2 hours to figure out how to pull the junk yard dash out, but I like doing it
    this way, because I can learn how to do it on my truck.
    Little did I realize how easy it is to remove a dashboard in a truck that has no windshield
    or steering wheel.

To sum up the story, 10 hours later after I get the idea to replace my dash, I finished
    it, put some armorall on it and it's good to go.

Below are the progressive pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00283.JPG 
Views:	1088 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	28049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00279.JPG 
Views:	962 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	28052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00285.JPG 
Views:	948 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	28048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00287.JPG 
Views:	945 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	28051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00288.JPG 
Views:	1003 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	28050
    Mikey Jones/Orlando, FL 1998 Silverado

Looks good! So what else have you done to your truck? Lets keep the project going! LOL.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Well I am a Mason, and my buddy is a tattoo artist and pin stripe artist. So I think my next project is to have him pin stripe the Masonic square and compass on the hood.

And down the road I plan to chrome it out, handles, rocker panels, wind visors etc.

Good to meet another brother. I will PM you.

Looks good man.... FYI Chromed out, thats a good idea
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Yeah, and one day I will chrome out the engine. But currently I have the 305, so I'm in the market to find a good 350 for that year and rebuild it and make it look nice then drop it in.

Side note: Just replaced the TCC Regulator valve in the transmission this past weekend, I was having a hard shift from 1st to 2nd and was getting the P1870 code. It's one heck of a job.

Nice job on the dash, I remember my first dash, it was intimidating on a 1976 Thunderbird, one of my first jobs at the dealer, I'm sure I lost on that one.

Ron,
    I tell you what, I kept telling myself "I'm never doing this again", but it got to the point of no return. Once the old one was out I had to finish the job, I guess I could have driven around with no dash, but then I wouldn't be able to listen to my tunes.

Funny story, I just ordered a catalog on LMC Trucks and they have plastic dash cover replacements that fit right on top of the existing dash....wish I knew that last summer LOL

When you said cracked I was thinking small cracks....that logs like someone threw a bowling ball at your dash! Iam having some of my dash bezels hydro dipped right now and was considering the dash.....but now after looking at your that might be a pain to hydro dip.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    When you said cracked I was thinking small cracks....that logs like someone threw a bowling ball at your dash! Iam having some of my dash bezels hydro dipped right now and was considering the dash.....but now after looking at your that might be a pain to hydro dip.
    To be honest with you, even though many thought I was speaking in tongues when I was replacing this dash, and I kept saying to myself "I will never do this again". Honestly, the cracks in that dash were eating away at me, and I would do it again even though it was a difficult job.
    As far as getting your dash dipped, my recommendation is pull one from a junk yard, or at least attempt it first and see if it will be worth it.
    The thing with these dashes is it's not like it's just a cover, it has an entire frame built into it. And if you do it, you'll eventually get to a point of no return as I did.
    And re-aligning the air ducts while putting the dash back in will make you hate life, especially when you do it alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by