GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Post New HU for 1999 Suburban

I am new to the site and doing a lot of work on my 99 Suburban (only 89K miles) and want to install an aftermarket HU. With a 1.5 DIN, I am looking at a Pioneer AVH-P6300BT (pop up screen) or DEH-80PRS. Have also considered a Kenwood Excelon KDC X996. I would appreciate any insight that anyone can provide on any or all of these units. Would also like to hear from anyone whether it is possible to squeeze a 2 DIN unit into the dash. Thanks.

Do you have the square ck style body or the round nbs? Pioneer and kenwood are both reputable companies, they both produce good, quality head units. I like kenwood but that's just because I'm partial to how easy they are to use. Go play with both of them and which ever one is easier to use (think about while driving down the road) then go with that setup.

I have the ck body style. Thanks for the advice.

I've never put a double din in one of those. No advice on that one. Sorry. Anyone else?

I used to own a 2000 Silverado, and while I had it I was contemplating doing the 1.5 DIN to double DIN conversion. Spend some time with Google and you'll find write-ups on how to do it. It's typically achieved by obtaining/using the dash bezel from a later model vehicle of your type that has a double DIN ... and doing some minor cutting and fab work to move the HVAC controls and expand the 1.5 DIN to accomodate a double DIN HU.

The only problem is, that's a CK style truck, you can't use the bezel of an 03 or newer because it won't fit period, I don't know what the solution would be for that kind of dash.

Thanks for all the feedback. I found a double din install kit at http://www.thedetailss.com/95-99_CK_Double_Din.html. Trying to find out if it is still available. In the meantime, if this does not work, does anyone have any feedback on any of the single DIN HUs I listed in my original posting?

See my first post. I'm a fan of kenwood but like I said, they are both solid choices.

Legend

Yes you can do a double din in a 1.5 din, my audio work has always been done at sweet sounds, I know they have done it and they also have a photo gallery on their website www.sweetsounds.com you could check there to get an idea.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16