GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Towing With a New Truck

Hey ya'll, I just bought a new 2013 silverado LTZ 1500 and I have 550 miles on it and I want to go on a fishing vacation. My question is this: The owners manual says the first 500 miles of towing should be at or below 50 mph. What happens if I tow at highway speeds since I'm going a few hundred miles? Will I totally destroy the drive train/engine? What do you think?

Fishdaddy

You won't hurt it in the short term but might In the long term. With a truck that new it still is wearing in its parts and such. Just be cautious and smart, 55 wont hurt it but I would just play it safe. Its a Chevy so it'll most likely be just fine, but do drive around the neighborhood and town at lower speeds to get used to how the truck handles with the trailer.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

***Thread Moved***
    To The
    Towing And Trailer Tech Section

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Did you buy or lease? I towed with 500 miles on my truck. I now have 20,000 miles on it and no issues.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Quote Originally Posted by jake's silverado View Post
    Did you buy or lease? I towed with 500 miles on my truck. I now have 20,000 miles on it and no issues.
    I bought it. I got rid of my 03 ram diesel. What a difference in power but I didn't have 50 grand plus for a new one. I was a chevy guy prior to the ram. I just don't want to screw it up by towing a boat.

how heavy is it and what kind of tongue weight? I think you should be OK!
    Just so you know my TT was 8500lbs and 950lbs on the tongue and my truck hasn't shown any issues. You do have 100,000 mile power-train warranty right!

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishdaddy View Post
    I bought it. I got rid of my 03 ram diesel. What a difference in power but I didn't have 50 grand plus for a new one.

I am right there with you...I couldn't justify another diesel (last one was an 04.5 Dodge Cummins), but I did manage to stay in a 2500 series truck...