GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Engine Trouble....on a 1997" with a 5.7 Liter

i have a 97 chevy k1500 with the 5.7 i changed the plugs,wires,cap and rotor truck running really rough you can smell fuel in the oil and very heavy at the motor. i have changed plugs twice cylinder 5 and 7 the plug is wet covered in fuel and and cylinder 6 is fouled out. i don't know if i have a injector stuck open or if maybe the fuel pressure regulator have any thing to do with it i am at a stand still i don't want to drive it because i don't want to screw it up more than what it already is. but it is my only transportation. any advice would help thanks.

****Thread Moved****
    To the
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

With 3 of 8 cylinders showing signs of fouling, I would not think injectors first -- seems unlikely to have multiple injectors get stuck open at the same time. My first thought would be a regulator issue. With a flashlight and a mirror, look down the throttle body for raw fuel in the intake (indicating that the diaphragm in the regulator is ruptured). You might also put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the system is running at too high of pressure or if the system holds pressure when the pump is off.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

i believe it is mpi

- - - Updated - - -

i will have to check that out thanks for the advice i am changing the intake gasket this weekend i will take a look and replace i know i used a 1/4 tank of gas within 7 miles so it is getting worse