GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Throttle body spacers?

Hi to all, I've been researching throttle body spacers because it looks like a fairly easy bolt on component. But I can't figure out if they're just a gimmick or if they actually add more HP. Anyone ever tried putting one on? Or know someone who has? Thanks
    2001 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N cold air intake, flexalite electric cooling fan, Edelbrock shorty headers, Amsoil synthetic oil, dual exhaust flow master 40 series muffler, Hypertech max energy programmer, MSD Ignition plug wires.

You know, I wondered the same thing. From what I hear you do gain a little hp and mileage but hardly noticeable. Then again, some people claim that they notice it, but for the most part people say not to waste your money. But, if you do decide that you want one, make sure you get the helix-bore you don't get that whistling noise. Hope this helps!The Trans-dapt one is the most popular of the people I asked. Also that particular version doesn't get that whistling sound. Unless, you are wanting the whistle. Hope this helps.
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

From what I understand, the only motors that throttle body spacers make a difference on are the TBI motors. I think this is because it's a vertical style induction system rather than horizontal. Also because the injectors are inside the TB and the stock configuration doesn't allow the cylinders to pull from both, just one. Where as some of the aftermarket one turns that TB into one piece that allows any cylinder to pull from both injectors at the same time making injector matching (which is supposed to be horrible on the TBI motors) less of an issue.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I haven't heard alot about tb spacers. But it does look like a good gimmick.

i put one on my truck...and i didn't notice all that much...if i had to do it again i wouldn't

Jmonte3
    07 Sierra NBS Black Crew Cab 5.3L Z71
    15% tint
    Gmc pin stripes
    Blacked out GMC Logos
    Dual Flowmaster exhaust
    Kicker Stereo System w/ Pioneer Avic-D3 Navi/Dvd
    Volant CIA
    Edge Evolution
    Poweraid TBS
    Leveling Kit
    Changed Door Handles to match shiney black paint

Thanks guys, I think I've made up my mind. I'm not gonna waste my money.

I put one on my old 94 with a 5.7 TBI. It improved throttle response quite a bit, and picked up 1.5-2 MPGs. I don't know how well it would work on a CPI or port injection, as the point of entry is not where air/fuel are mixed.

On a TBI it should work just like a carb spacer or a taller manifold. IIRC it widens the power band as well as smoothing the intake flow, could be wrong about that though. I've done it on my carb'd camaros and gotten throttle response and mpg increases as well as a better seat of the pants feel. And since a TBI is really not much more than a glorified electronic carb (works on the same downdraft principles), you should have roughly the same effect. But if you have a TPI or any MPFI you are better served getting a bigger bore throttle body with a smoother intake to make the power.
    2008 Silverado LT

SO i TAKE IT THAT PUTTING ONE ON MY 2009 SERRIA WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME, WAS HOPING FOR A QUICK FIX TO MY ACCELERATION PROBLEM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I never heard anything good about them.. Save your $$$
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by