GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default rubberized under coating

whats the input on rubberized under coating? i have heard mixed things like it soaks the water in and keeps it there? i want to hit some areas on my truck and try to protect some metal.....
    2004 Chevy Silverado z71, second owner

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT, yellow, Hard top (yup its a GT):glasses:

What I have heard is you must ensure the area you are doing must be dry. If not it will lock the moisture in and of course start to rust that spot out. In the spring or late winter I am going to get my wheel wells done as well as the bed. I am going to get them lineX'd.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I'd go with eastwoods heavy duty rust proofing... It's not rubberized... But hardens more to a wax like coating that's supposed to be self healing.. I put on my truck this fall... took two quarts to do the entire underside. I haven't run it winter yet but so far I'm very happy with it... Leaves a nice flat black underside similar to the rubberized coating.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Legend

I have been using rusfre 1013-1 a brush on mineral based fiber reinforced black asphalt material . comes in a gallon size. I thin to apply the material with paint thinner. put on a few coats rather than one heavy coat. did the wheel wells in 2001. product does stand up to the winter road slop quite good.

the problem with these spray cans of undercoating. over time these products crack. not flexible like rusfre.

brush on rusfree material can be washed off with thinners. I have used this on the rusting out designed GM fuel/brake lines with good success.

with the OEM waxed based rustproofing on the frame this is a defective product . poor adhesion to the metal. as this product fails it holds corrosive chemicals causing hidden metal damage.

I just had the crossmember replaced on my 2000 silverado. after this was done the bed removed I scraped off all that defective GM waxed based rust proofing material. then applied the rusfre to the complete frame.

as I was scraping this waxed material it was indeed hiding the rusting. not any more!

- - - Updated - - -

remove the chrome bumpers and use on the back side to prevent rust damage. my 13 yr old bumps still look good.

- - - Updated - - -

http://raybuck.com/i-68314-rusfre-br...ercoating.html

well i wanted something i can get local today will b the last nice day here

Legend

I got my product at the local auto body store.

I just gave that internet info for info purposes only !