GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Service 4WD Warning ~ 2001 Suburban

The message center (dashboard warning) displays SERVICE 4WD on my 2001 Suburban 1500. I do not hear anything unusual to cause the light. I do not know what to check. Please help.

I had the same warning come up on my 03 Yukon Xl. I crawled under the truck and started unplugging and replugging in connectors. Luckily, that fixed it. The connector to the encoder motor was corroded. I would start by trying that. Are the lights on your 4x4 indicator on or all off? Unfortunately, most cheap scan tools can not check the codes associated with the 4x4 system, so a Tech II is needed to tell you exactly what the issue may be. You might be able to find a shop near you that has one or a snapon model that can read your codes cheaper than what a dealer would charge. I believe that the 00-06 models have known issues with the encoder motor going bad. But, before you throw parts at it I would have it scanned.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)