GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Denali HD grille conversion on an NNBS 1500

I am looking at getting a new grille to replace the crappy black plastic and the cheap insert I have on it. I love the look of the Denali HD grilles on the 2011+ 2500HD's. I have seen online that a few guys have pulled off this conversion and are running an HD grille on their 1500.. except this has only been on the Silverado's I have yet to see someone to a swap with the Denali HD grille.

What is required to do this, anyone know?? I'm betting it isn't a direct fit. Would I need the HD hood, or maybe relocating the front bumper?

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to set my truck apart from the rest.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

The difference between the HD and the 1500 there is that the HD has a 2" body lift from the factory. The bumper mounts the same though, and they just use a taller plastic cap on the top of the HD bumper to accomodate the gap. I'm not 100% sure on the GMC, but I believe the grille goes almost all the way down the middle of that cap, which would make it too tall to fit a 1500 without a 2" body lift and the HD bumper cap to go with it. If it happens to be the same height as the 1500 grille though, it would be a really simple swap.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

best bet might be to go to a dealer and ask to look at one and see what differences you can see.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Alex : that's a good idea. Might go do that this weekend if I'm looking for some time to kill.

pmf608: My truck has a 2.5" leveling kit, which would put the front ride height around the same as a stock 2500HD. So maybe this would help.. and upon doing some research I think you're right about the bumper cap. I believe the 2500HD and 1500 have different caps. So I'm unsure about that. Just to clarify, you ARE talking about the part I have circled in the pic blow, right?

Also, does anyone know if the grille will align with the 1500 hood..? Or would I have to go with the 2500HD hood too? Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumper.jpg 
Views:	2271 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	45767
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's

2000 Silverado Z71
    - Lots more to come!

Yep, that's the part I was talking about. Your overall height should be close, but the HDs are lifted 2" above the frame to clear the top of the Allison transmission, so they made the cap taller to cover that gap. I'm not 100% sure what the differences in bumper brackets, etc. are to make everything fit but as far as I know, that cap would be the main point of concern on yours. The hood should line up.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Is the 2" leveling kit the same thing as a 2" body lift? I already put shocks with the 2" added on and a 2" suspension lift on the back. So would need a 2" body lift to be able to install bumper cap? How about the rear bumper cap? Different also?

I may do this sooner than expected. Just to clarify, the only actual parts I will need is a 1.5" body lift (on its way now), 2500hd grill and bumper cap.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywolf858 View Post
    I may do this sooner than expected. Just to clarify, the only actual parts I will need is a 1.5" body lift (on its way now), 2500hd grill and bumper cap.
    Keep us posted, I think it'll look great. I'll probably regret not doing it after seeing it on yours... but I couldn't justify the extra cost. I'm plenty happy with my 1500 Denali grille.
    09 Sierra SLT

2000 Silverado Z71
    - Lots more to come!

It is more of a question than a statement. There is so much circling the air about this topic and I want to be clear when I begin. The body lift just arrived and I'm going to put it on tonight/tomorrow.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.

The body lift is done. I'm going to hold off the HD conversion for now.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.