GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Engineer

Default how do you beat gps tracking installed on work van?

Just wondering not like I would try anything

* WINNER - Random suspicious comments of the month *

Prize? Raised eyebrows.

Not sure, if it's GPS you could maybe put a dark plastic bag over it so the GPS signal gets lost? It will report that it was not connected though.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I think if your company can't pick up your truck on the radar they are going to think one of two things--1) gps tracking unit isn't working correctly and needs to be fixed or2) it's been tampered with by the driver and then that opens up a whole can of crap!!
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

What are you up to??? If you are where you are supposed to be you wouldn't be worried about GPS.
    Adam

i think he might be wanting t drive it when he isnt supposed to, my dads company van was like that and his boss was notified when it was started

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    * WINNER - Random suspicious comments of the month *

Prize? Raised eyebrows.

Not sure, if it's GPS you could maybe put a dark plastic bag over it so the GPS signal gets lost? It will report that it was not connected though.
    hahaha, suspicious comment of the month for sure!!!

S.BELFORD

2009 Silverado LT1: All Star Edition
    5.3 Liter V8 4x4

Factory:
    Locking Rear Differential
    3.73 Rear Axle
    Fog Lamps
    Factory Remote Start
    Locking Tailgate
    20" Wheels

Aftermarket:
    Rear Wheel House Liners
    Molded Mud Flaps
    Stainless Nurf Bars
    Driver Information Center
    20% Tinted Windows
    Low Profile Diamond Plate Tool Box
    GM Bed Liner
    Silver Birch Metallic Mirror Covers
    Silver Birch Metallic Vent Visors
    Flowmaster Super 40 (knock off)
    20" Wheels
    Bed Rail Protectors
    Extang Tonneau Cover

If it is the ever popular and ubiquitous Qualcomm system (about 6" white dome on the roof) I have heard that if you cover said white dome with aluminum foil it will lose all communications with the sattelites. Then again, if you get your dispatches and such with the system, you won't get 'em... And like others said, you will almost certainly be noticed by whoever runs your tracking system.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Engineer

NO not up to anything just wondering, I saw a transmitter you plug into cig lighter to jam signal online was just wondering.
    BTW some of the guys have unplugged the power and found out real quick how to draw attention to themselves.
    I am where I am suppossed to be and if I mess up I am more then willing to take responsibility for my actions. We have a bean counter running reports from the data and supervisors get an e-mail alert for excessive idle time, start and stop times, speeding, and red zones. It is connected to a GARMIN NUVI.
    I was in a meeting with my supervisor and he got an alert that my van was idling! Same day he was riding with me and he got an alert that I was going 139 mph!!! Works well!!! I do not think my heavy 3500 Express would get anywhere near that speed.

Sounds like one of those fool proof million dollar i spy systems that doesn't work for Sh@T!!!!
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Yeah some genius at our company went with the "TomTom Work" system. The excuse was to improve efficiency, safety and vehicle recovery in the event of a theft.

No big deal I used to work for PacTel Teletrac so I'm immune to being tracked. I just go where I'm supposed to be. Also, our company lets us use the vehicle for personal use so after hours I can be anywhere I want.

It sends a message to the boss when you exceed the speed limit and he responds with a text to slow down.
    I try and stay within the posted limit. There is no advantage to speeding since I'm hourly and get paid for all my windshield time.

The fleet manager can send messages regarding service or mfg recalls.

The guys who carry their surfboards and golf clubs in the back of their truck had better be careful.

The only real plus I can see is that if it weeds out the 20% who are slackers overall productivity and morale would improve.

Position is determined with gps, it backhauls the info over the GSM cellular network. You could disable the unit, but that will raise a flag. You could jam the frequency, but again if you are untrackable, your absence will still attract attention.

When I park under some microwave towers I "disappear" from view due to interference. My supervisor hasn't questioned those incidents, but the system is new, so I'm sure as the usage increases, I'll have to explain my whereabouts. Also since the system relys on only one antenna, it can create faulty readings, so you will see the wrong location and speed from time to time.

Yesterday the boss called to have me handle an outage and he asked: "Where are you?" and I just laughed at the thought, that it was easier for him to call and ask rather than log in and track me.

Some GPS info:

A GPS satellite transmits two carrier signals in the microwave range, designated as L1 and L2 (frequencies located in the L-Band between 1000 and 2000 MHz).

Civil GPS receivers use the L1 frequency with 1575.42 MHz (wavelength 19.05 cm). The L1 frequency carries the navigation data as well as the SPS code (standard positioning code).

The L2 frequency (1227.60 MHz, wavelength 24.45 cm) only carries the P code and is only used by receivers which are designed for PPS (precision positioning code). Mostly this can be found in military receivers.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast