GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    No vehicle has this (at least, not the ones we are talking about). The parking brake is only a parking brake.

I guess I am not clear about the original post. I did not see a year/make/model.

Here are pics I took when replacing my rear disc's and there is no question it is a combination Disc/Drum setup. The discs are for regular braking and the drum is for the e-brake.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/alb...#axzz2CGKC6I7W

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I believe all GM trucks (at least since the 1999/2000 change over have both let me explain). My 2000 silverado has 4 wheel discs with ABS.

However the rear axle is a combination Disc/Drum where my powered brakes are discs, but the drum is there for the emergency/manual/parking brake that you press with the parking brake pedal.
    Not sure what model year they changed it on but GM trucks are back to rear drum brakes, they may still use Disc's on some models, but the standard GM truck braking system is Disc front Drum rear again.

Legend

you are very correct on that comment with the power of drum brakes and the use of the emergency brake performance. I would never rely on my rotor park brake shoes to hold my 20 ft boat on the boat ramp. I carry wheel stops just in case they are needed.

How do Silverados with the Max Towing package with 4 wheel discs do the parking brake thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Yes there are trucks that have it @RayVoy the very late 90's trucks had them because they needed a better parking brake then the discs. I have several diagrams in my manual for 88-98 trucks it applies to 98's with full disc brakes most were 2wd and smaller, but it was eventually put on bigger 1500 trucks. The point is drums are better parking brakes because of their larger surface area.
    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I guess I am not clear about the original post. I did not see a year/make/model.

Here are pics I took when replacing my rear disc's and there is no question it is a combination Disc/Drum setup. The discs are for regular braking and the drum is for the e-brake.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/alb...#axzz2CGKC6I7W
    No guys, you missed my point. What I was trying to say, was that in today's trucks, there is no such thing as an emergency brake, we have parking brakes (I had hi-lited the section I was referring to)

By emergency brake, I mean a brake that can slow/stop the vehicle if the main braking system fails. This is why the main braking system has 2 master cylinder pistons and 2 separate pressure circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    How do Silverados with the Max Towing package with 4 wheel discs do the parking brake thing?
    The rear rotor has a built in drum (the rotor is called a top hat), there is a shoe inside the drum that is used as a parking brake, check out the link @nakranij posted.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    No guys, you missed my point. What I was trying to say, was that in today's trucks, there is no such thing as an emergency brake, we have parking brakes (I had hi-lited the section I was referring to)

By emergency brake, I mean a brake that can slow/stop the vehicle if the main braking system fails. This is why the main braking system has 2 master cylinder pistons and 2 separate pressure circuits.

The rear rotor has a built in drum (the rotor is called a top hat), there is a shoe inside the drum that is used as a parking brake, check out the link @nakranij posted.
    Your correct, it's mistakenly called an emergency brake but they really cant and shouldnt be used for that purpose, their actually listed as parking brakes in the owners manuals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12