GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Truck interior question ~ 2013 LT1

Someone I have recently meet said he thinks that GM trucks have cheap plastic "Fisher Price" interiors. We were looking at a 2013 C-1500 LT1 and also a 2013 LTZ. I thought all new trucks use lots of cheap plastic nowadays. He said that Chevy just looks cheaper than others while pointing out the door panels, dash and, center console. Does his statement have any validity to it or is he just blowing smoke?

They all have plastic but GM make plastic look sexy

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

The bad news is YES GM does use easy to scrach Door panels and other things.. But alot of other Co's now do the same to save on money..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Back in the day, GM and Ford used hard wood for trim inside...... now its vinyl wood trim GM, Ford or Dodge.... everything is done on the cheap now.

I would like to see a bit of cloth on the door panels. But it is something that most are doing for cost savings.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

My 96 has a nicer interior than most new trucks, they used vinyl to simulate leather on the door, but its as in an effort to cover the plastic panels.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Well obviously whoever you talked to isnt a GM fan and hasnt paid any attention to other truck manufacturers interiors. Unless you go with an LTZ, Lairame, or King Ranch models they all use a lot of plastic, and even the upscale trucks have a lot of plastic panels.
    Cloth panels just dont have the durability and get dirty much quicker than plastic, if your getting a truck because you want a luxury car that can haul a load then an all cloth interior should do you well, but most people still buy trucks because they either plan on using it to haul and do dirty jobs or they actually do dirty jobs that dictate easy to clean and maintain interiors.

Ya they do use a lot of plastic now in the late model vehicles. But its just because the car manufacturers are cheap and greedy, they want all the money they can get for a plasticy car. I think that back in the day all of them made the best vehicles, at least better that todays new vehicles.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Yeah, I agree. The world has changed and to make things cheaper and lighter, they're going the route that they have gone.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't say that they are cheap (meaning poor quality and poor construction). All of the handles, switches and pulls are very high quality and designed very well. Most people find the driving experience to be very comfortable, on par with a nice sedan from 15 years ago! Trucks are used in so many ways anymore and they're built so well that you're not going to really have anything to worry about with fit and finish.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast