GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Rear Brake Question...... Help Please

Hi Gang
    Well, my 94 'Burb is turnin into a "cruise in" type shop truck/daily driver. So much for havin a "beater". Its goin to the paint shop soon, just converted it to 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/DynoMax muff's, 18X8 Eagle Polished Wheels & Falken Tires, added the roll pan, dropped 3/5, Bare Drilled/Vented rotors, Black Chrome Composite Headlight/Turn Marker light & Chrome Grille conversion, Chrome front bumper w/Driving Lights & Billett Insert to match Billet Inserts in the new chrome grille and some other mods I cant think of right now. Anyways, my wife and friends keep buggin me about convertin the rear drums to (yikes ) disc w/Drilled/Vented rotors. Has anyone done this? I tried the search deal and came up with "zip, zero, nada". The rear is a 5X5 bolt pattern 1/2 ton 2WD rear. I wanna keep this as low buck (reasonably) and safe as possible. Any and all imput is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best Regards from Daytona Beach... Speedweeks 2008 starts NOW, with the Rolex 24!
    Larry
    Last edited by Acme Racer; 01-24-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: forgot a few things....................DOH!
    1994 C1500 Suburban - Dropped 3/5, 18's, rollpan, Custom Grille-Headlights-Bumper :smile:
    1992 Chevy "Yenko Impala SS" Wagon - Lots of mods Our "toy" :happy:
    1991 Buick Roadmaster "GS" wagon - Her daily driver
    1992 Buick RMW "GSX" wagon - Her new "toy"::glasses:
    1973 Winnebago Brave 18' Class A Motorhome
    and.......
    over 5000 HO scale Slot cars & 2 HUGE multi lane tracks in the garage :great:

I am looking for the same thing... I have found a couple conversion kits just by Googling "suburban rear brake conversion" But they are $700-1200! I know for my '75 blazer I just order some brackets ($100) and the rest of the parts can be pulled right off the shelf of any local auto parts store for about another $100.

I'm thinking of just getting an axel from a newer "burb and using that (one that already has disks), but that's gonna be a lot of cutting and welding!

Legend

Some 2500 suburbans came with rear brakes and you could swap them, or maybe try camaro rear brake from the junkyard, they will be the same bolt pattern at least, and have no problem fitting inside the 18" you have, your best bet is to think SCAVENGER
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Some 2500 suburbans came with rear brakes and you could swap them, or maybe try camaro rear brake from the junkyard, they will be the same bolt pattern at least, and have no problem fitting inside the 18" you have, your best bet is to think SCAVENGER
    As far as I know, the Camaro's had a smaller bolt pattern than the trucks. I think they are a 4.75 x5 which is too small for our trucks.
    Last edited by GaryL; 04-20-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom