GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default research/referral help?

I have a 1955 Chevy 3200 Pickup.
    It is registered as a house car. Not aftermarket modifications.
    It has a shell with fold down bunks and external water tanks on both sides between door and rear wheel wells.

Can't find anything to speak of online and can't get a touch of what it's worth because there were few built/sold.

Where can I find out more information?

- - - Updated - - -

Some pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontGrillSm.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	45881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriverFrontSm.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	45882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearShotSm.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	45883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriverH2OtankSm.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	45884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamperDecalSm.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	45885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaterTankSm.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	45886
    Last edited by edkemper; 11-16-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: remove wrong info

Well, what I see would be perhaps 3 separate features.
    - The Chev 3200 truck
    - The added on camper shell
    - The 2 water containers.

I think you would have to price the truck as just the truck (price based upon condition), and the rest as aftermarket add on (the price based upon whatever someone will pay).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

What a cool truck!

I would like to see some pics of the inside of the camper

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InsideCabSm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	45901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InsideCamperSm.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	45902

I will try to get a few more. This truck has been sitting at my sis's house for 25 years.

Looks like you've found one of the early conversion companies.
    Chevy was an early pioneer using Conversion companies to build "factory modified" new vehicles, from the 40's to the 60's they had a deal with Napco to convert trucks and Suburbans into 4wd's, this deal ended when they began building 4x4's on the GM assembly line in Flint Michigan in the early 60's.
    It' would appear in the 50's they also had a deal to build mini motor homes (what passed for one in those days).
    I know the area where the company was located, lived a few blocks away at one time, that particular company hasnt been in that location since the mid 70's.
    I'm assuming they manufactured the front brush guard too, looks like a nice conversion. For the year overall the truck is in good condition, a perfect example for restoration.
    Being a factory conversion makes it worth a little more than a standard 1955 truck, because it is rare, but the price really depends on finding the buyer willing to pay. I'd look at Hemmings Motor News or something like that for a better price index.
    I saw a 1953 Chevy truck converted by the same company, it was at a truck show about 15 years ago, they had it fully restored and the owner was selling it for $28k, he had a parts truck that was a conversion too, it was the same year and 90% complete but unrestored, he was asking $9500 for it.

Looks like they coined the phrase "The Borg" a few years before Star Trek, who knows maybe they were inspiration for Gene Roddenberry and crew.

It is such a cool truck it'd be a shame to see it disappear or be altered back to a stock chevy truck. I appreciate the history lesson. It needs to be kept as it was built in 1955.

Yea I agree, that truck's in good condition, as rare as it is with the conversion though it would be a true loss for someone to turn it into a factory 55 it needs to be restored with the conversion.
    I dont see a lot of problem with that though, it looks like most pieces are there.

The only thing missing is someone that sees the possibilities that wants to tackle the project. Not likely to find someone on Craigslist.

Heres where I'd advertise if it were mine and I wanted to sell:
    http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...Facet=Vehicles for Sale&sort=c_time_desc&page_size=15&vehicle_conditi onFacet=Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast